View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 07:24 AM
tropit

Originally Posted by SophieWaggner83 View Post
I've always wanted to make miso soup at home, but for some reason I think it's very difficult, right? That's why I always order it, but if you have a delicious miso recipe, then I'm all for it!
Making miso soup at home from store bought miso couldn't be easier. The easiest way is to just mix in a couple of tablespoons of miso with some water in a pot and heat it up. Garnish with some chopped, green onions, maybe a few small cubes of tofu and your good to go. Most Japanese recipes will tell you to use dashi stock instead of water. Dashi is made with water, Kombu (seaweed) and bonito flakes. It has a rich umami taste that adds flavor to your miso soup. It's not absolutely necessary, but it is nice.

Look in your vegetable section, possibly near the vegan foods case, for miso. The most common kind that I see in the supermarkets is white miso, which is made in a short period of time, compared to other kinds of miso. It is a paste that comes in a jar, or plastic container. White miso is light, kind of sweet and very salty.

You may find other kinds of miso at a co-op, Japanese market, or health food store. If you are into miso, they are worth a try. South River is a company that makes several different kinds of miso and they vary in taste. They look very expensive, but a little goes a long ways.

Last edited by tropit; 01-13-2021 at 07:28 AM.