Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
New Fermenting Crocks! >

New Fermenting Crocks!

New Fermenting Crocks!

Old 01-08-2021, 12:39 PM

Default New Fermenting Crocks!

I kept hinting that I wanted some fermenting crocks for Christmas. I even gave each of the kids some miso and explained that there would be more forthcoming, if only I had some functional, fermenting crocks to make it in. I told them how I had to make do with glass jars and zippy bags filled with water to hold the miso down and how it didn't work very well. I went on and on, but alas...no, I didn't get any crocks for Christmas. They liked the miso though.

So, Last week, I bought my own! Here is what I got:
https://www.rootsandharvest.com/prod...s-weights-lids
I got 1, 2L, and 2, 5L crocks.

They just arrived and wow...they're so beautiful! These crocks are so lovely and I would have no problem leaving them on my kitchen counter, (if only I had a big counter.) Very well made and dare I say, chic.

Now, it's off to make some miso and sauerkraut. I have some great recipes for making miso out of soy beans, but also out of adzuki beans, garbanzo beans and even black beans. I know that miso is not everyone's interest,but if anyone is interested in making miso, just post here, or PM me. I'm glad to share what I know...so far.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:15 AM

That's pretty neat tropit. I get lost trying to ferment or feed anything. Even my houseplants have to beg for water and look real sad before I remember them. I bet your results are lovely. Sometimes the best Christmas gifts are the ones we give ourselves. I did a similar thing with strainers. We always have fruit on the kitchen bar. I was tired of the plain metal strainers and purchased myself some beautiful enamel ones in different colors.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
That's pretty neat tropit. I get lost trying to ferment or feed anything. Even my houseplants have to beg for water and look real sad before I remember them. I bet your results are lovely. Sometimes the best Christmas gifts are the ones we give ourselves. I did a similar thing with strainers. We always have fruit on the kitchen bar. I was tired of the plain metal strainers and purchased myself some beautiful enamel ones in different colors.
Oooh...your strainers sound so pretty!
Old 01-10-2021, 10:30 AM

I have 2 large crocks one is a 5 gal and the other is a 10 gal. Great for sauerkraut and pickles. Both were given to me. I love them both for what I use them for.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:45 AM

I've always wanted to make miso soup at home, but for some reason I think it's very difficult, right? That's why I always order it, but if you have a delicious miso recipe, then I'm all for it!
Old 01-13-2021, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by SophieWaggner83 View Post
I've always wanted to make miso soup at home, but for some reason I think it's very difficult, right? That's why I always order it, but if you have a delicious miso recipe, then I'm all for it!
Making miso soup at home from store bought miso couldn't be easier. The easiest way is to just mix in a couple of tablespoons of miso with some water in a pot and heat it up. Garnish with some chopped, green onions, maybe a few small cubes of tofu and your good to go. Most Japanese recipes will tell you to use dashi stock instead of water. Dashi is made with water, Kombu (seaweed) and bonito flakes. It has a rich umami taste that adds flavor to your miso soup. It's not absolutely necessary, but it is nice.

Look in your vegetable section, possibly near the vegan foods case, for miso. The most common kind that I see in the supermarkets is white miso, which is made in a short period of time, compared to other kinds of miso. It is a paste that comes in a jar, or plastic container. White miso is light, kind of sweet and very salty.

You may find other kinds of miso at a co-op, Japanese market, or health food store. If you are into miso, they are worth a try. South River is a company that makes several different kinds of miso and they vary in taste. They look very expensive, but a little goes a long ways.

Last edited by tropit; 01-13-2021 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:02 PM

Check out website "Justonecookbook.com" -- very friendly Japanese cooking. The thing with miso is, you want to add it as the last ingredient, off heat, so the beneficial microbes aren't destroyed (flavor too, probably). Miso soup has basis of dashi, a fish stock, and various ingredients for interest, as you know.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by nanibi View Post
Check out website "Justonecookbook.com" -- very friendly Japanese cooking. The thing with miso is, you want to add it as the last ingredient, off heat, so the beneficial microbes aren't destroyed (flavor too, probably). Miso soup has basis of dashi, a fish stock, and various ingredients for interest, as you know.
Thanks for that link. I agree...the dashi really adds a nice taste to it and is the proper way to go. Also, you're right, don't overheat the miso. Miso soup should never get to the boiling point. (Although, I have let it get too hot on occasion and it still tastes pretty good.)

My new batch of miso is fermenting away in on of my new crocks. It's so nice to have the ceramic weights. They make it much easier than using a bag of water to weigh things down. I'm seeing a pool of tamari forming on the top of the miso. I tasted it...just like tamari, only very salty!