View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 01:22 PM
ATheLibrarian

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Depending on whether they require you to buy the frame with the machine, do check places like FB Marketplace for the hoop frame. I've seen a lot of used ones out there for closer to $500, and you never know if there's one in your area for sale.

Do you really plan to quilt from the back on a hoop frame?

As to the 15R, do look into the price of a recertified 15 Pro. Faster, stronger motors. Possibly more robust internals as a result. A quick check of a common retailer shows they are $500 more than the recertified 15R.
Yes, I do plan on quilting from the back with smaller pantographs. It sounds crazy, but I find them very relaxing, right up there with hand binding my quilts. I have looked at the 15pro (I started looking into this over a year ago and it took until now to convince my husband that yes, the "big sewing machines" are in fact, more expensive than "regular size sewing machines") and it doesn't seem to be different enough to be worth the extra $500 to me. That's $500 that I wouldn't be spending on fabric I may regret that later, but I really don't need top of the line.

I've been stalking Marketplace/craigslist/letgo for months, there's never a Qnique/sweet sixteen, never a hoop frame or little foot or anything similar. My pre-owned options seem to be either something ancient with a small neck and a huge table that I don't have room for or a large trailer to transport, or something $10k+ with similar table and transportation issues. I'd rather buy recertified with a factory warranty than used without anything.