Thread: Hello Hello!
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 02:38 PM
DesirePathStudio

Talking Hello Hello!

Hi! I'm Kate and I'm joining the forum as an absolute novice. I'm in Minneapolis, but I'm from Southern California, so I've had to learn a lot of new hobbies since moving to the midwest.

I primarily weave and spin fiber, and I'm looking for more uses for my woven fabric (other than scarves and runners), so I'd like to develop some sewing skills. I haven't sewn more than a few small bags in my entire life - mostly because my mother's sewing machine was FORBODEN, but also due to more than a few horrible experiences with cheap tiny plastic sewing machines. (Tears, hot face yelling, and I may have chucked a $10 thrift store mini-sewing machine as a wall once... or twice...)

I've been doing a little bit of research, and learned that treadle machines are great for sewing woven fabric and leather. I recently purchased a White Family Rotary treadle machine off craigslist for $50, in a lovely parlor cabinet. It was serviced when the seller originally bought it for her daughter, but she never used it and couldn't remember how long since it's been used. There's almost no lint or dust on it and it's in such amazing condition! However, the belt (and spare belt) were both super soft and broke over and over while I was testing the machine. I managed to thread the top spool and bobbin, and confirmed the machine works! But, then the treadle slipped backwards and the bobbin thread jammed up, and... the belt snapped... So... that's how it's going so far!

Nice to meet everyone!

Attached Thumbnails 8fa2b695-80c5-4f89-8450-0db1bdaff753.jpeg