Hello Hello!

Old 02-21-2021, 07:36 AM

I would absolutely LOVE to make jackets with some of my woven fabric. I know just what you mean - the woven textiles just seem to get tougher and softer at the same time as they’re worn in. That and leather bottom bags are my goal this year. I know I need to learn how to use interfacing, so that’s where I’m hoping learning quilting will really help.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:30 PM

HI kate, welcome from central Ohio. I learned to sew on my mother's treadle sewing machine and have an old treadle machine in my basement. It's been down there at least thirty years and I have no idea which auction it came from. I'll never use it since I have two vintage Sears machines and a Janome which I use all the time. The treadle also needs refinishing badly and my refinishing days are far behind me.
I can remember my mother doing some kind of maintenance on the belt on her machine but what it was I have no idea now.
My only pet peeve with her treadle machine was the bobbin winder was either broken or missing. Winding all those bobbins was a real pain but the machine had a beautiful stitch and just purred along without any problems on all my 4-H projects through the years. I'm sure you'll love it when you get it going. I haven't been in this group very long but it seems that everyone is nice and willing to help in anyway they can.

You're very competent to be able to upload photos. I have no idea how to go about it.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:24 PM

Welcome to the board from NE Ohio.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:12 PM

Hi Seneth! I love how many people I know have been telling me they learned to sew on a treadle machine. My husband's grandma lit up when I sent her some photos today, and my sister in law just realized she's had one as a TV stand in her house for years. We're going to try to find someone to service it soon

It looks like this one has the bobbin winder intact and I'm incredibly happy for that! If not, I do have a very cheap (basically toy) sewing machine that I could wind bobbins with. I don't use it to sew, as the last time I did it just wouldn't stop making little spider nests... but I use it to spool my weaving bobbins! This makes me wonder if I can make an adapter for winding my weaving bobbins on the treadle lady.