Thread: Babylock Jazz 2
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 07:13 PM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by Sharongn View Post
If any sewing machine company would make a decent, basic machine that can also do free motion quilting that didn't cost an arm and a leg, they would make a ton of money!
The idea of industrial machines is kind of scary, but if all you want is a machine with lots of throat space and gives you a great straight stitch and the ability to remove the feed dogs that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, an industrial might be the way to go.

I bought mine for bag making - it's super heavy duty and I could sew saddle leather if I wanted to, but by changing the feed dogs and plate, I can sew fine fabrics, too. I make a bunch of rayon jersey blouses and stretch jeans every few months.

And in January, I set it up with a darning plate and started quilting with it - it's got almost 11" between the needle and pillar. Giant M bobbin, so I can quilt for a long time without running out. I wind the empty bobbin while I'm sewing and I don't have to remove the quilt to change when it runs out, again.

It's extremely quiet and VERY fast - I had to turn the speed way down in order to re-learn FMQ. Base price was $995, but it came to almost $1200 with shipping plus the extra feet, bobbins, extra bobbin case and a couple of accessories I wanted for bags.

It took me an afternoon to set it up by myself, including carrying it upstairs. It came with holes pre-drilled, and clear assembly instructions in a video that went step by step.

You are pretty much on your own when you buy an industrial machine. I had refurbed enough vintage machines that I wasn't
intimidated at doing my own maintenance. They're actually very simple mechanical machines.

Shop around and see if that option appeals to you.