View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 07:36 AM
Iceblossom

Thank you all for your kind comments. She doubled the batt on the turtle to give a greater feeling of depth/underwater. It's really tremendous in person -- totally 3D. Both the panel and the rock print border were thrift store finds, as well as the large fish backing I didn't show.

The Confetti top was made from a large box of precut blocks I was given, not all were so exactly cut and there were a couple of sizes. Is simply a 6" novelty square (6.5" cut) with 2" frame and then the 2" sashing is made up of other squares -- great use for the ones that weren't so perfect sized or cut. I also pulled out all the metallic embellished prints from that box and made a very different top (still not quilted). Finally, I still had a great big box of maybe more cohesive and easier to use squares but decided I had done enough and sent them to a board member.

One of the biggest problems I have with my donation quilts is fabric enough for backs. I'll buy just about anything I find at the thrift stores big enough for a back and I'll use it... I'm often faced large scale prints or fabrics that otherwise maybe hard to use. The batik for Confetti, for example, had some really difficult green blotches in it -- which is probably why it ended up in the thrift store where I got it! Lately I've been doing more and more with two 3 yard pieces (typically the largest size I buy new), sometimes more creativity is called for than others.

I should do another set of shots of the backs. I think all of them are fun and just right for the project involved but some were harder to envision a use