Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilted Tops -- but not by me! >

Quilted Tops -- but not by me!

Quilted Tops -- but not by me!

Old 04-26-2021, 07:36 AM

Thank you all for your kind comments. She doubled the batt on the turtle to give a greater feeling of depth/underwater. It's really tremendous in person -- totally 3D. Both the panel and the rock print border were thrift store finds, as well as the large fish backing I didn't show.

The Confetti top was made from a large box of precut blocks I was given, not all were so exactly cut and there were a couple of sizes. Is simply a 6" novelty square (6.5" cut) with 2" frame and then the 2" sashing is made up of other squares -- great use for the ones that weren't so perfect sized or cut. I also pulled out all the metallic embellished prints from that box and made a very different top (still not quilted). Finally, I still had a great big box of maybe more cohesive and easier to use squares but decided I had done enough and sent them to a board member.

One of the biggest problems I have with my donation quilts is fabric enough for backs. I'll buy just about anything I find at the thrift stores big enough for a back and I'll use it... I'm often faced large scale prints or fabrics that otherwise maybe hard to use. The batik for Confetti, for example, had some really difficult green blotches in it -- which is probably why it ended up in the thrift store where I got it! Lately I've been doing more and more with two 3 yard pieces (typically the largest size I buy new), sometimes more creativity is called for than others.

I should do another set of shots of the backs. I think all of them are fun and just right for the project involved but some were harder to envision a use
Old 04-26-2021, 07:58 AM

I'm impressed by her work and yours, and your generosity.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:04 AM

Yes, show us the backs too!
Old 04-27-2021, 05:21 AM

Ok, first shot is the Turtle back. Beautiful large scale fish fabric -- got it at the thrift store. All three pieces on different days/years. For that top, the quilter provided the binding, a tiny little aqua pebble that was perfect!

The next three are the "wonky bright" project, also done by the board member. Started out as a bright bag of scraps, partial FQs and such at the thrift store for about $6, I could see there was a quilt in there. LOL, it was fun and I'm hoping someone loves it. I am missing a large number of pictures I know I have -- must be on the other memory stick. But I have better shots of the quilting both front and back. The next picture shows the back under black light! The final one a close of up the corner, back, border and binding choices.

Edit: I admit to buying the binding fabric for the wonky bright as new yardage. All others were thrift buys. I did this project to push myself in many ways. The fabrics were not "me". The wonky blocks were not me -- in the corner shot you see my one standard 9-patch. In my Tuesday group, one of our members is quite the improvisational quilter, so different than my usual fussy style, but everything she does is wonderful. Trying to let a bit of that freedom rub off on me.

Attached Thumbnails 100_5965-2-.jpg   100_5939-2-.jpg   100b5953.jpg   wonky-corner.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 04-27-2021 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:13 AM

Ice blossom, the backs are as lovely as the fronts. You couldn’t have done better if you had shopped in a fabric store. Anyone would be happy to receive either one of these. Thanks for showing both sides.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:09 AM

Still looking for the other memory stick of the hanging quilts. Here's some detail on "Elephant Walk". The back is a large scale bicycle print, bikes are about 6" tire to tire, I think by Shamash and Sons? Anyway -- another thrift store buy. I'm typically spending about $1-3/yard. Sometimes I snag a great find on the right day and extra off that. As already mentioned, the top was already pieced but in two differently shaped pieces. I added the border (another thrift find).

This one the quilter decided on black thread and a more jagged shape. It works well!
Attached Thumbnails 100_6088.jpg   100_6089.jpg  
Old 04-29-2021, 10:48 AM

You go girls!