View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 02:03 PM
CaleyH

I'm trying something new. I watched a video that gives the instructions on how to do this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKkT...index=7&t=327s

The lady calls them "Square Diamonds"

My efforts aren't as nice as hers, but I hope I will improve as I do more of them.

I wanted to cut out these, but discovered that the center is quite thick because of the eight points in the center. I needed something that would allow me to align the seams, yet not move around because of the center thickness.

Solution is to take one of my cutting square (4 1/2 inches), then drill a small starter hole. I then clamped the template down on my drill press, and used a 2 inch hole saw, and very slowly, and carefully cut the center out of the template. Now I can place the template atop the cloth, and have it lay flat, allowing me to make precise cuts.

I know that many of you do not have the machinery nor the experience to do this, but maybe your husband or a friend could do this for you. I've got so much experience in so many fields that I pretty much can do anything I need, other than make repairs to complex machinery like sewing machines. Guess being in the Air Force for 24 years kind of forces you to learn all kinds of things you would never think of doing.

Below is a picture of four of these pieces I've sewn together, along with the 4 1/2 inch square plastic template I modified to allow me to make those "Square Diamonds.

The material I found at Walmart listed as Waverly SD Black. It was only 3.44 per yard. I wanted something to practise making these blocks without breaking the bank.

I had to modify the instructions given in the video to make things work for me. Where she had a repeating pattern of about 28 inches, my pattern repeated every 12.25 inches. I ended up cutting squares four inches square, which gave me a total of sixty different sets of 1/2 square triangles. Not sure what size this quilt will be, but then, this is another of my adventures in quilting. I'll play things by ear.
Attached Thumbnails square-diamonds.jpg