Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Caley's Adventure in Quilting >

Caley's Adventure in Quilting

Caley's Adventure in Quilting

Old 02-08-2021, 01:02 PM

Default Caley's Adventure in Quilting

I thought I would start a thread that is just dedicated to my adventures in the wonderful world of quilting. I will just give a brief description, and how I feel about it, along with the picture.

My first is a Nancy Rink Designs quilt call "Tucson. Needless to say, this was truly an adventure. The strip star was something I had never tried before, and apparently, after what seemed like a dozen measurements, I still managed to goof the size a tad. The reason I know something was amiss is that when I tried to attach the granny squares as Nancy calls them, they were too long. I ended up[ having to add black fabric strips to make things the proper size, so that those granny square strips could fit. And as it was, the big star was apparently a tad lopsided, so that those additional black strips didn't completely fix the problem. I ended up having to make both the black strip addons and granny square strips match during the sewing process.

I also botched the trimming process to get things to proper size. I've never trimmed such large fabric squares, or strips, so that also entailed some extraordinary sewing adjustments to make things fit. That just means I have tiny puckers here and there where I forced things to fit.

This is my quilt because of the terrible problems I encountered. Hopefully I can fin a place for it.
Attached Thumbnails tqt-small.jpg  
Old 02-08-2021, 01:31 PM

It's actually looking pretty darn good to me! Once it gets quilted (and yeah, I didn't believe it either until I saw it happen with my own work!), all sorts of pucker and 'fudged' bits will look so much better! The colors and design are just lovely... I hope you finish it up and enjoy!
Old 02-08-2021, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

Lovely top! Once it is quilted, it will be wonderful!
Old 02-08-2021, 02:22 PM

Looks pretty darn good to me too.Love the colors.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:06 PM

Very beautiful quilt and love your fabric choices.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:10 PM

Thanks Everyone. The fabrics are per the quilt plan by Nancy Rink. I just wish I could've put things together better. I've found a few spots where somehow failed to sew the seams properly. I guess the fabric can snake out of alignment on its own when you least expect. I'm still having to go back and look very carefully to ensure all the seams are sewn properly.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:15 PM

It looks beautiful! Great colors. You'll enjoy and appreciate it more as some time goes by after you've finished it.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:10 PM

I too, think you did a pretty darn good job on it, and as was said, once it's quilted you won't be able to see your "mistakes".
Old 02-08-2021, 06:03 PM

Looks good, wonderful bright colors.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:03 PM

What a pretty, bold, colorful quilt. I love how you made adjustments and just went for it when you needed to. So many would have gotten fed up with the issues and just gave up. I agree that after quilting and washing it, you won't even notice those puckers.