View Single Post
Old 05-31-2021, 01:12 PM
dreamy19

Default 1873 Eldredge B treadle--how to thread?

Recently my husband and I saw a gorgeous, wonderfully well taken care of Eldredge B treadle machine being sold at a garage sale for $75, and we had to bring it home. I have several vintage/antique Singers and my husband has become pretty skilled at cleaning/restoring/repairing my garage sale finds and making them like new, so I wasn't concerned about the lack of a manual. We had never heard of the Eldredge brand before, but it was in amazing shape and the cabinet/coffin top are beautiful. The problem is, we are not able to find much information on the operation of it. I've managed to find some good info on the Eldredge company and the evolution to Janome, etc, but all we have learned so far about this particular machine is that it was manufactured in Chicago, likely in 1873. It has a long shuttle style bobbin which winds by treadling in reverse. I have managed to figure out how to wind the long bobbin, but thats all. Everything appears to work, but I can't figure out the threading procedure for the needle. This is NOT the "Improved" Eldredge B. It is a 1-spool machine with the tension plates on top. Is anyone familiar with this machine and how to thread it? Thank you for any help!