Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
1873 Eldredge B treadle--how to thread? >

1873 Eldredge B treadle--how to thread?

1873 Eldredge B treadle--how to thread?

Old 05-31-2021, 01:12 PM

Default 1873 Eldredge B treadle--how to thread?

Recently my husband and I saw a gorgeous, wonderfully well taken care of Eldredge B treadle machine being sold at a garage sale for $75, and we had to bring it home. I have several vintage/antique Singers and my husband has become pretty skilled at cleaning/restoring/repairing my garage sale finds and making them like new, so I wasn't concerned about the lack of a manual. We had never heard of the Eldredge brand before, but it was in amazing shape and the cabinet/coffin top are beautiful. The problem is, we are not able to find much information on the operation of it. I've managed to find some good info on the Eldredge company and the evolution to Janome, etc, but all we have learned so far about this particular machine is that it was manufactured in Chicago, likely in 1873. It has a long shuttle style bobbin which winds by treadling in reverse. I have managed to figure out how to wind the long bobbin, but thats all. Everything appears to work, but I can't figure out the threading procedure for the needle. This is NOT the "Improved" Eldredge B. It is a 1-spool machine with the tension plates on top. Is anyone familiar with this machine and how to thread it? Thank you for any help!
Old 05-31-2021, 06:21 PM

Welcome. I do not have an Eldredge, but I do have a New National that was made by New Home, that has the "leaf tension." There are at least three different ones. I think they are somewhat similar. When I was trying to figure out how to thread mine, I found https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2013...dventures.html so that helped. Perhaps it my help thread yours. Maybe a picture of the machine and the nose would help someone to be able to give better guidance. I'm not sure, but it is possible that your machine may take a different needle than the Singer 15x1 needle.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)