View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 07:13 AM
Iceblossom

Default Directional Fabrics

Ah, the joys and despairs of directional fabrics. Some are rather easy to work with, others less so. I do have my own set of quilting rules and one of them is: No Dead Fish! If I use a directional fish fabric I have to make sure that there are no floaters -- you'd be surprised how often this rule has come up.

Depending on the project, there are many solutions. We can ignore the direction entirely! (unless it is fish fabric...) We can work with it, we can work against it.

If you have any comments to add or want to show pictures of your challenges and your design decisions, jump on in!

This is my current project and I'm going to take some time to think about it before I commit to layout. It is for my hubby's Aunt Debbie who is a fan of UM sports, I think for a college team color/themed quilt for a woman older than I am, I'm happy with what I've come up with. The hubby insisted on the team fabrics.

Originally, I cut the background fabric to be up/down directional, but now I'm thinking that this is square and not rectangular, the center star was deliberately chosen to be non-directional and maybe it would be better to radiate out from the center, or basically have all four sides be able to be "top".

I had to buy some extra of the background fabric, I think I have enough to cut (2) more pieces along the horizontal direction so that they are all alike, don't know if I have enough to cut the vertical which would be better...

This is just two shots of the same view, didn't change any of the fabric yet. Posting while I pull out the remainders of the background yardage to see what remains.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6133-2-.jpg   100_6132-2-.jpg