Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Directional Fabrics >

Directional Fabrics

Directional Fabrics

Old 07-20-2021, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I just started a Christmas quilt by Bev McCullough and had some directional fabric I wanted to use but I won't for star points because I never get them straight, no matter how well I think I cut them! I don't have a lot of green in my stash and these were perfect but nope, not using them lol
Old 07-23-2021, 04:42 AM

Still the constraints on quilting in a small space -- but I'm pretty happy with what I've come up with working with the directional fabrics. Turns out, my next project will also deal with a directional print and while I think it will be straight up and down, I might just decide to randomly turn these fabrics instead of keeping them directional.

This top, Aunt Debbie Bleeds Blue, is a college sports themed quilt for a woman older than I am -- and I'm pretty happy with what I've come up with. Now I have to figure out how to quilt this down, what I would do with a long arm is different than what I'm going do on my very nice domestic. Think I have a plan... I do have a back, a batting and a goal to get this out before the end of the year.

So we have most of the quilt in picture 1, and a quarter in picture 2.

Attached Thumbnails 100_6138.jpg   100_6139.jpg  
Old 07-23-2021, 11:26 AM

Thanks for posting more pictures. Is that Rick rack on the curve edges, sewn into the seam allowance?
Old 07-23-2021, 11:53 AM

Yes -- I call it the "Eleanor Burns Method" because that is where I learned it. The part with the fans comes in around 18 minutes here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktzb2wMMwzc

The rick rack seals the edge nicely and is already bias so goes on evenly. Here's some pictures of the fan blocks. It goes on surprisingly fast and easy.

Basically you just applique down the arc and the pie piece to the foundation. I find the advantages of a foundation beat setting in the seam or cutting away the excess.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6124.jpg   100_6122.jpg  
Old 07-23-2021, 11:58 AM

For a very different quilt, I used the same John Flynn grandmother's fan template set with the same Eleanor Burns technique to make this quilt for me, my November Turkey Fan quilt.
Attached Thumbnails turkey-close-up.jpg   turkey-fan.jpg  
Old 07-23-2021, 04:06 PM

Love it!
Old 07-26-2021, 05:56 AM

I enjoyed the you tube video. I know I laughed at times, and laughter is always good. Thanks Iceblossom.