Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommendations please:  Best Scissors/snips for fine cuts >

Recommendations please: Best Scissors/snips for fine cuts

Recommendations please: Best Scissors/snips for fine cuts

Old 09-05-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Recommendations please: Best Scissors/snips for fine cuts

I have some intricate cutting to do on a cotton applique pattern. It will require a pair of scissors that have a sharp tip and are easy to control on interior portions of the applique; IE. "I need clean cuts in tight spaces."

What scissors/snips would you recommend?

Thank you!

Last edited by thrums; 09-05-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Banned

I bought a pair of Kai 4 1/2" scissors for just this reason, I wanted them sharp at the tip for trimming around small details on marine vinyl. One of the best 20 bucks I ever spent. I also use squeezers instead of scissors for trimming around applique on my embroidery machine. They're very sharp for use with fabric but the blades are too small to be of use with the vinyl so I bought the Kai scissors.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 09-05-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I bought a pair of Kai 4 1/2" scissors for just this reason, I wanted them sharp at the tip for trimming around small details on marine vinyl. One of the best 20 bucks I ever spent. I also use squeezers instead of scissors for trimming around applique on my embroidery machine. They're very sharp for use with fabric but the blades are too small to be of use with the vinyl so I bought the Kai scissors.

Cari
Thanks for the suggestion.

Which type did you get the bent or straight scissors?
Old 09-05-2018, 01:23 PM

A couple months ago, I bought little curved 4" scissors made by Gingher for snipping embroidery and applique threads. They've been a joy to use.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Havel's serrated fabric scissors or Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Scissors. Both are excellent. You need serrated blades for fine detail cuts.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:27 PM

My favorite scissors are Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Scissors. The ones I use are the 4", in fact I have 3 pairs ...... lol .... one at my sewing machine, one in my sewing basket and one at my quilting frame. There are also 2 other sizes.

http://www.karenkaybuckley.com/store.php?cat=5
Old 09-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Thanks to Cari-in-Oly's suggestions I have searched numerous sites and found three scissor designs suggested for applique work: Straight, Bent and Curved. My experience is limited to straight scissors only.

I need to be educated on the functionality of the bent and curved scissors. What are the pros and cons of your preferred scissor's design.

Thanks again!!
Old 09-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post

Cari
Thanks for the squeezers suggestion!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I am also a fan of Karen Kay Buckley's serrated edge scissors. The teeny tiny serrated edges grab the fabric so you can stay right on you applique line so easy, they never push the fabric out of the way as you are cutting like a non-serrated edge will. I have the smallest size and the medium size and I use the medium sized blue handled ones the most. I also splurged on the Appliquick 3 hole micro-serrated scissors. The design of the handle gives extraordinary control. They are super nice too but very difficult to find in the US even on line. I got mine when she was vending at a quilt show. While I thought they were crazy expensive once I used them I felt they were definitely worth the cost.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I am also a fan of Karen Kay Buckley's serrated edge scissors. The teeny tiny serrated edges grab the fabric so you can stay right on you applique line so easy, they never push the fabric out of the way as you are cutting like a non-serrated edge will. I have the smallest size and the medium size and I use the medium sized blue handled ones the most. I also splurged on the Appliquick 3 hole micro-serrated scissors. The design of the handle gives extraordinary control. They are super nice too but very difficult to find in the US even on line. I got mine when she was vending at a quilt show. While I thought they were crazy expensive once I used them I felt they were definitely worth the cost.
They are more readily available on line now. They look really nice. And yes, a bit pricey too. I think they were originally made in Spain. I haven't found any information on its current manufacturing location. Is there a manufacturer's location stamp on your scissors?