Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations please: Best Scissors/snips for fine cuts

Blog Entries

Recommendations please: Best Scissors/snips for fine cuts

I have some intricate cutting to do on a cotton applique pattern. It will require a pair of scissors that have a sharp tip and are easy to control on interior portions of the applique; IE. "I need clean cuts in tight spaces."

What scissors/snips would you recommend?

Thank you!
    Last edited by thrums; 09-05-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Banned
    I bought a pair of Kai 4 1/2" scissors for just this reason, I wanted them sharp at the tip for trimming around small details on marine vinyl. One of the best 20 bucks I ever spent. I also use squeezers instead of scissors for trimming around applique on my embroidery machine. They're very sharp for use with fabric but the blades are too small to be of use with the vinyl so I bought the Kai scissors.

Cari
    Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 09-05-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    I bought a pair of Kai 4 1/2" scissors for just this reason, I wanted them sharp at the tip for trimming around small details on marine vinyl. One of the best 20 bucks I ever spent. I also use squeezers instead of scissors for trimming around applique on my embroidery machine. They're very sharp for use with fabric but the blades are too small to be of use with the vinyl so I bought the Kai scissors.

Cari
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Which type did you get the bent or straight scissors?

A couple months ago, I bought little curved 4" scissors made by Gingher for snipping embroidery and applique threads. They've been a joy to use.

Havel's serrated fabric scissors or Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Scissors. Both are excellent. You need serrated blades for fine detail cuts.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

My favorite scissors are Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Scissors. The ones I use are the 4", in fact I have 3 pairs ...... lol .... one at my sewing machine, one in my sewing basket and one at my quilting frame. There are also 2 other sizes.

http://www.karenkaybuckley.com/store.php?cat=5
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

Blog Entries
    Thanks to Cari-in-Oly's suggestions I have searched numerous sites and found three scissor designs suggested for applique work: Straight, Bent and Curved. My experience is limited to straight scissors only.

I need to be educated on the functionality of the bent and curved scissors. What are the pros and cons of your preferred scissor's design.

Thanks again!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post

Cari
    Thanks for the squeezers suggestion!

I am also a fan of Karen Kay Buckley's serrated edge scissors. The teeny tiny serrated edges grab the fabric so you can stay right on you applique line so easy, they never push the fabric out of the way as you are cutting like a non-serrated edge will. I have the smallest size and the medium size and I use the medium sized blue handled ones the most. I also splurged on the Appliquick 3 hole micro-serrated scissors. The design of the handle gives extraordinary control. They are super nice too but very difficult to find in the US even on line. I got mine when she was vending at a quilt show. While I thought they were crazy expensive once I used them I felt they were definitely worth the cost.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I am also a fan of Karen Kay Buckley's serrated edge scissors. The teeny tiny serrated edges grab the fabric so you can stay right on you applique line so easy, they never push the fabric out of the way as you are cutting like a non-serrated edge will. I have the smallest size and the medium size and I use the medium sized blue handled ones the most. I also splurged on the Appliquick 3 hole micro-serrated scissors. The design of the handle gives extraordinary control. They are super nice too but very difficult to find in the US even on line. I got mine when she was vending at a quilt show. While I thought they were crazy expensive once I used them I felt they were definitely worth the cost.
    They are more readily available on line now. They look really nice. And yes, a bit pricey too. I think they were originally made in Spain. I haven't found any information on its current manufacturing location. Is there a manufacturer's location stamp on your scissors?

Karen Kay Buckley's. Sharp as all get-out! Keep Band-aids close by and your eyes at all times on your work. Ask me why I say this. Seriously, best applique scissors ever. Never regretted the cost. Zero frustration like you can experience with lesser quality.

another vote here for Karen Kay Buckleys! I like the teeny red handled curved blade ones for snipping threads. they are super duper sharp though, i make sure to keep the cover on when I'm not using them. they're on Amazon and several local shops here carry them

Blog Entries
    I also love my Karen Kay Buckley scissors,...much less expensive than my beloved Gingher 4” scissors!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by thrums View Post
    They are more readily available on line now. They look really nice. And yes, a bit pricey too. I think they were originally made in Spain. I haven't found any information on its current manufacturing location. Is there a manufacturer's location stamp on your scissors?
    Yes, Appliquick is in Spain (Barcelona). But I don't know if the scissors are actually manufactured in Spain. I chatted with her quite a bit at the AQS show (fun gal!) She explained to me how difficult it was to find a manufacturer willing to make things to her very demanding specifications. She said she was constantly arguing with engineers about her design specs, they were constantly trying to talk her into something that would be easier to manufacture so she could charge less and she would have none of it. Quality and functionality were her number one priorities. I suspect she is still with the same manufacturer but I don't recall if she mentioned where it was. I seem to have a vague recollection of Switzerland or Germany maybe?? I will check the packaging when I get home to see if it mentions where they are actually made.

And you are right they are much easier to find now. I found them on Amazon.

I was just looking at precuts at Green Fairy Quilts and they have Karen Kay Buckley scissors on sale right now! I'm going to treat myself to another pair.

The Appliquick scissors are better then Ginghers, I put my Ginghers in the kitchen drawer. I use the Karen Kay Buckley and Havel's for all cutting not just for detail work. I have explained to both my DDs the quality of my Appliquick scissors and how they are not to be tossed in the $1 box at my demise. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for Kai. They're micro-serrated which means they grab the fabric as they cut, no slippage. I find the handles to be the most comfortable brand by far.

Blog Entries

Decisions....Decisions

Decisions....decisions....

*Appliquick

*Havel serrated fabric scissors

*Kai

*Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Scissors

They all look like a good bet.

Thanks so much for your replies.
    Last edited by thrums; 09-06-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thrums View Post
    Thanks to Cari-in-Oly's suggestions I have searched numerous sites and found three scissor designs suggested for applique work: Straight, Bent and Curved. My experience is limited to straight scissors only.

I need to be educated on the functionality of the bent and curved scissors. What are the pros and cons of your preferred scissor's design.

Thanks again!!
    It's all a matter of preference. The Kai scissors I bought are straight with serrated edges. My squeezers are curved tip and straight tip, but I prefer the curved tip ones. Personally I don't care for the bent scissors.

Cari

My vote is for Kai...I have the Havel's and love them, but the Kai can get into tiny places much better. I have the straight and curved Kai..I prefer the curved for most applique, as they are easier to maneuver around circles and curves. I use the straight for straight cuts. I started out with just the straight Kai, and they work just fine for circles and curves, but the curved are easier. If you have a lot of trimming to do at one time, another consideration is the handles. Havel's larger finger holes are way more comfortable, while the Kai have small holes, and I find when cutting a lot, my hands cramp up.

Dovo 3-1/2” hardanger scissors on Amazon. These amazing little scissors are expensive, but Sandra Leichner recommended them to me because they are her favorites. They are small and have an extremely sharp tip.

amazon has all the above cheaper w/prime free shipping

IMHO nothing beats Kai Scissors. For trimming applique, I use N5100C (curved blade). Find them at kaiscissors.com
    Always free shipping and you can return them for free sharpening.

I have Kai, Havel and Karen Kay Buckley -- my fave is the Karen Kay Buckley. They are very sharp all the way down the tip.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewvicki View Post
    IMHO nothing beats Kai Scissors. For trimming applique, I use N5100C (curved blade). Find them at kaiscissors.com
    Always free shipping and you can return them for free sharpening.
    Thanks for the information. A heads up to future shoppers: I have found lately that Amazon doesn''t always have the lowest prices. I like to comparison shop different items when I visit a new website. When I checked out Kaiscissors.com, I found some models of scissors are cheaper there than on other sites I visited and it offered free shipping. "As my mother told me...you better shop around."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast