Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommendations please:  Best Scissors/snips for fine cuts >

Recommendations please: Best Scissors/snips for fine cuts

Recommendations please: Best Scissors/snips for fine cuts

Old 09-22-2018, 02:35 PM

based on tip I went in last night and bought the scissors but I also wanted to try another brand Tim Holtz that are non stick with serrated edge...where as Kay's are not non stick...So I bought both and will see which win.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:16 AM

i also have a pair of Dovo little 4" scissors. I can get the end points very sharp.

Question for those who use the serrated scissors - how can they be sharpened, or do they not need sharpening?
Old 07-24-2021, 10:22 AM
Banned

I'm hoping to get a pair of curved shears to help with shaping. I'm not looking to spend an arm & a leg on them--but I also don't want to waste my money on cheap quality shears that are going to end up in the trash.

Any suggestions on brands and where to buy them?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2021, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by emmamark View Post
I'm hoping to get a pair of curved shears to help with shaping. I'm not looking to spend an arm & a leg on them--but I also don't want to waste my money on cheap quality shears that are going to end up in the trash.

Any suggestions on brands and where to buy them?
Kai. https://kaiscissors.com/ They have great scissors, micro-serrated to grip the fabric, and very comfortable handles. I own 7 pairs. I don't know if they have curved shears (I've never even heard of curved shears!), but they carry a LOT of cutting instruments so go poke around their website. They also have excellent customer service, there is a woman on this forum that needed a specialty pair, they custom-made a set for her.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:42 AM

Question - when you say "curved" shears, do you mean offset? I'm envisioning curved blades and not understanding how they would cut.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Kai. https://kaiscissors.com/ They have great scissors, micro-serrated to grip the fabric and very comfortable handles. I own 7 pairs. I don't know if they have curved shears (I've never even heard of curved shears!), but they carry a LOT of cutting instruments so go poke around their website. They also have excellent customer service, there is a woman on this forum that needed a specialty pair, they custom-made a set for her.

thank you for the suggestions.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:17 AM

You never can have too many pairs of scissors. I just a very quick count of the ones easily found around here 24 pairs. Oh my. I have used the duckbilled ones, they are good for some things, but I actually have a very short stubby round tipped Heritage scissors that I love for very small pieces. these have a serrated edge that grips the fabric making it very accurate and easy to control.. I ;think the blade on that one is about one inch long. The finger holes have a silicone lining and very comfortable and lightweight. I have three others pairs and they are shaped different and have very sharp tips.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I have many scissors too but my very favorites are Kai. Amazon has many of them.