Thread: Using TVP
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 11:43 AM
Iceblossom

When I first was a vegetarian in the 70s, there weren't many handy options... I think all the refried beans had lard in them, there was Hain Valley? Chili in a can but that was about the only thing I could buy other than TVP. Mostly I know the "hamburger crumbles" sort of thing.

We don't use much of it these days, and I can get big basically generic bags for pretty cheap at one of my local markets, but Bob's Red Mill grain section usually has it in most stores.

Being here in the Seattle area stores, I have access to many wonderful restaurants and stores and some of the harder to find ingredients are super easy to find if you know what you are looking for and are in the right store.

The predominantly Asian market near me is specifically more Vietnamese, there is another one a bit further that has a more Taiwanese base and they have a lot of different textures of TVP than I'm used to seeing. I got some for my Vegan son to try but didn't get much feedback. I guess mostly it provides a protein base for the sauces they use I looked at the website to try and get a name for you -- looks like I'll just have to go there in person to find out!