Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Using TVP >

Using TVP

Using TVP

Old 08-03-2021, 09:22 AM

Default Using TVP

"TVP" stands for "textured vegetable protein." It is a dry, crumbled, soy product that when it is rehydrated, it has the texture of ground meat. It is used as a substitute for ground beef, turkey, pork and lamb and will take on any flavor that you give it. It's a healthy substitute for ground meat, because it has very little fat and no cholesterol. TVP is also less expensive than meat, is easy to store and stays fresh for a long time, since it is store dry. It's also very simple to use. When used in a recipe, it can be very convincing. Many people do not even know that it isn't meat. Here are some of the things that I make with it:

Tacos, burritos
Spaghetti Bolognese
Chinese Spicy "Ground Beef" with noodles
tamales, tamale pie
burgers, meatballs
Chili
won tons, egg rolls

The list goes on and on. It's really versatile! I have a hard time finding it in our local stores, but it's available online. I get mine from nuts.com. Does anyone else use TVP?
Old 08-03-2021, 11:43 AM

When I first was a vegetarian in the 70s, there weren't many handy options... I think all the refried beans had lard in them, there was Hain Valley? Chili in a can but that was about the only thing I could buy other than TVP. Mostly I know the "hamburger crumbles" sort of thing.

We don't use much of it these days, and I can get big basically generic bags for pretty cheap at one of my local markets, but Bob's Red Mill grain section usually has it in most stores.

Being here in the Seattle area stores, I have access to many wonderful restaurants and stores and some of the harder to find ingredients are super easy to find if you know what you are looking for and are in the right store.

The predominantly Asian market near me is specifically more Vietnamese, there is another one a bit further that has a more Taiwanese base and they have a lot of different textures of TVP than I'm used to seeing. I got some for my Vegan son to try but didn't get much feedback. I guess mostly it provides a protein base for the sauces they use I looked at the website to try and get a name for you -- looks like I'll just have to go there in person to find out!
Old 08-03-2021, 04:22 PM

Back in the early 70s I had tacos at a vegetarian/vegan restaurant near my college - I honestly didn’t realize at that time that it wasn’t hamburger. It was fabulous. My DIL is a vegetarian and I’m getting used to non-meat foods but haven’t had TVP in years. It seems to be hard to find or maybe I’m just looking in all the wrong places. Maybe I’ll find a package and take it with us when we go back to Colorado for a visit.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 08-05-2021, 07:31 AM

Iceblossom, there are also "Soy Curls" that are similar, only in a thinly sliced, meat shape. I found mine online somewhere, I don't remember where.

It's funny, all this hype about the "new" faux meat products recently, (Impossible burger, Beyond Meat, etc.,) when faux meats have been around for centuries. Chinese cuisines have been making them for many, many years. A good place to find faux meat products in in a Chinese grocery.