View Single Post
Old 08-12-2021, 12:28 PM
quiltingcurious

Default Singer Graduate 714

Hello,
It is for the latter reason for when these machines are used for sewing in Home Economics classes, I'm suspecting it was until the students became familiar with the machine functions, it was locked for only straight stitching. So, the teacher would decide when they were ready to tackle other stitches. These machines suffered a lot of abuse in school settings, it's hard to believe anyone would treat property in that manner, but I guess it happens.
You seem quite knowledgeable about sewing machines, those kind of mishaps happen to everyone from time to time.
I'm still looking for a timing belt for my New Home 620, not had any success so far.
If you had to choose a brand and model that had decorative stitches and also sewed well which would it be? I like the durability-metal of the vintage machines, but am afraid of not being able to get parts for it if it needs something. I looked at a Vintage Singer 9124 that had 24 built in stitches, have you had experience with that model or do you have another that you like better for decorative stitches, durability, and sews well?