Singer Graduate 714

Old 07-08-2021, 03:31 AM

Default Singer Graduate 714

I'm attempting repairs on this machine and need to know where I can get vintage parts for the pattern selector segment gear part 506285 as that gear is smooth and I can't select anything but straight stitching.
Also, the needle position control dial and disc selector seems frozen. There are two threaded screw holes above both of these dials, that require a straight stitch locking screw stud key, it looks like an Allen wrench, but the holes are threaded, perhaps, that dial is locked. There is a part number 171387, when I tried Singer online, they don't have either the gear for the patterns selector dial , or for the locked needle position dial.
It might be part of an accessory kit, the straight stitch locking key.
Do you have any suggestions as to where I can get these parts and do you have any videos on how to replace the pattern selector gear on this machine. I think it is from 1975.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:43 AM

I have no affiliation, nor have I used either of the following. The part number 506285 looks to be available at https://www.vintagesingerparts.com/p...22-726-740-760
I have read that https://store.tandtrepair.com/ is good for the machines of this time frame and there is https://store.tandtrepair.com/700comborepair.html I have also read that he is good at answering emails and helping others with slant shank machines.

Have you tried an allen wrench?

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 07-08-2021, 06:08 AM

"the needle position control dial and disc selector seems frozen."

I would suggest you may be approaching this from the wrong area. I am not familiar with your particular model, but on many machines lubing inside the machines is they key. look to what the knobs should turn and all that linkage. If you can't get anything to wiggle from the inside, grab a hair dryer and see if you can loosen up some old grease.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I have no affiliation, nor have I used either of the following. The part number 506285 looks to be available at https://www.vintagesingerparts.com/p...22-726-740-760
I have read that https://store.tandtrepair.com/ is good for the machines of this time frame and there is https://store.tandtrepair.com/700comborepair.html I have also read that he is good at answering emails and helping others with slant shank machines.

Have you tried an allen wrench?

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Hello,
I appreciate all the information you have submitted.
I would try an Allen wrench, except the holes are threaded so I'm afraid of rounding out the threads. I have an online manual, but it doesn't list any parts, but does mention the straight stitch lock key being part of the accessory kit.
I will check out the parts site.
I've taken some pictures, you can see the second dial is pushed in further than the dial on the left, I can only move it from the inside and it is very hard to move. I'm thinking it is locked by the Allen wrench that must have threads to unlock it from straight stitching.
I don't know if you can see the 3 black and white photos I took of the inside top of the machine. The first one shows the gear behind is worn smooth, the next two are of the dial that is very hard to turn, it's the needle position dial.
I greased everything I could top and bottom of the machine gears thoroughly before investigating the two dials.
I'm sorry the pictures are out of order, I had the window reduced, so I had to enlarge it to find the upload button, then I tried adding more than one at once.
Attached Thumbnails dscf7206-800x600-.jpg   dscf7210-800x600-.jpg   dscf7208-800x600-.jpg   dscf7207-800x600-.jpg   dscf7209-800x600-.jpg  

Old 07-08-2021, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
"the needle position control dial and disc selector seems frozen."

I would suggest you may be approaching this from the wrong area. I am not familiar with your particular model, but on many machines lubing inside the machines is they key. look to what the knobs should turn and all that linkage. If you can't get anything to wiggle from the inside, grab a hair dryer and see if you can loosen up some old grease.
Thank you for your response. I did oil all the gears and oil ports on the top and the underneath the machine before investigating further. I can only manually turn the dial from the inside of the machine and even then it is very hard to turn. The dial also seems to be pressed in further than the one on the left, that is what makes me think it is locked and I need a threaded key to unlock it.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:35 AM

Thank you for the photos. That doesn't make sense to me that those are threaded holes. They sure look round, though. Is it shaped differently past the threads? If the locking tool was threaded it would just screw in and not adjust anything. I think if you really want to keep this machine and sewing, I would contact tandtrepair. I'm thinking that bkay has dealt with them and with good review.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 07-08-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:44 AM

Default Singer Graduate 714

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Thank you for the photos. That doesn't make sense to me that those are threaded holes. They sure look round, though. Is it shaped differently past the threads? If the locking tool was threaded it would just screw in and not adjust anything. I think if you really want to keep this machine and sewing, I would contact tandtrepair. I'm thinking that bkay has dealt with them and with good review.

It doesn't to me either. It looks like 5 or so fine threads, then a drop off. I will try to contact tandtrepair.
I appreciate your help.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:56 AM

Turns out I have this exact machine, had when you posted but didn't know I had it because I hadn't made it that far through the pile.

If I'm understanding the problems correctly, the pattern selector dial on the left won't change patterns, and the needle position dial and stitch width dial on the right won't move.

I do not have the locking screws with mine, but I will guess they are thumb screws which can be left in the machine and "locked" down for straight stitch. On the pattern selector dial there is an indentation (hidden) on the top of the dial over the straight stitch setting and under the threaded hole for the lock screw. The lock screw will screw down into this indentation preventing the dial from turning. If you can't turn this dial look for something stuck in the hole. If the teeth on the lower inside part of the dial are gone you'll need a new dial.

The dials on the right are stacked, needle position on top, stitch width on bottom. These turn independently (or should). The needle position dial has a hole (hidden) through which the locking screw will pass down into the stitch width dial which has a hole over the "0" setting. The hole goes all the way through the bottom dial, so a stuck foreign object seems unlikely. Does the lower dial turn at all? If there is nothing stuck in the lock hole try loosening the two screws on the plate on the right (circled in the picture); this plate serves as the detent' for the needle position dial, taking off a little pressure may allow it to move, and let you get some grease under it.

Interestingly, I found standard hardware store machine bolts that were able to thread into the "lock" holes.

You should remove the face plate, there are at least 2 tabs, circled in the picture, holding it in, after you remove the two circled allen head screws. I was going to take off the plate on this machine, started to, but didn't want to break it as I'm trying to sell it. You may risk breaking the face plate but it's going to have to come off to replace the pattern selector dial, and it will give you a better view of anywhere else they may be binding.
Attached Thumbnails inked20210804_091129_li.jpg   inked20210804_091108_li.jpg   inked20210804_091119_li-2.jpg  
Old 08-04-2021, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
I do not have the locking screws with mine, but I will guess they are thumb screws which can be left in the machine and "locked" down for straight stitch. ...
The straight stitch is locked with an allen wrench type tool as seen on page 8 of the pdf found at https://res.cloudinary.com/singer-se...ng_Machine.pdf

Old 08-04-2021, 07:30 AM

I see. Seems a little awkward to have to use an allen wrench, thumb screws make more sense to me. I will find a couple of machine bolts and turn them by hand I guess.