Singer Graduate 714

Old 08-12-2021, 10:12 AM

I have been thinking about this since first reading the post. I wonder the purpose of locking the dials. To prevent the machine from changing settings from vibration? To prevent the user from changing settings while straight stitching? I'm guessing the second.

Nevertheless I still thwarted the well intentioned engineering: I used spook pins to lock the dials, put on a straight stitch foot, and fired up the machine. Then I removed the pin locking the stitch width and adjusted it, forgetting to remove the straight stitch foot and, not unlike my operator error with the World's Best Sewing Machine, I promptly shattered a needle on the foot...fortunately I didn't strip any gears or break the timing belt.

It's a good thing I don't do this for a living.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:28 PM

Default Singer Graduate 714

Hello,
It is for the latter reason for when these machines are used for sewing in Home Economics classes, I'm suspecting it was until the students became familiar with the machine functions, it was locked for only straight stitching. So, the teacher would decide when they were ready to tackle other stitches. These machines suffered a lot of abuse in school settings, it's hard to believe anyone would treat property in that manner, but I guess it happens.
You seem quite knowledgeable about sewing machines, those kind of mishaps happen to everyone from time to time.
I'm still looking for a timing belt for my New Home 620, not had any success so far.
If you had to choose a brand and model that had decorative stitches and also sewed well which would it be? I like the durability-metal of the vintage machines, but am afraid of not being able to get parts for it if it needs something. I looked at a Vintage Singer 9124 that had 24 built in stitches, have you had experience with that model or do you have another that you like better for decorative stitches, durability, and sews well?
Old 08-12-2021, 01:34 PM

I'll respond, even though a zig zag stitch is about as decorative as I get. I am not familiar with the 9124, but to me a vintage machine with patterns would be a Singer 401 or 500. I think generally the parts that might need replacing on these are still readily available, and the 500 at least, in addition to the built in patterns, accepts cams for additional patterns. I have one of these which I just cleaned up and it sews strong and fast.

I have a Singer 328 that uses cams for patterns, including zig zag, it is a machine I would consider. I have a Stylist 534 that I use (even though it has plastic/rubber gears) and it has a few built in patterns, but does not take cams. It is the only free arm machine I have which comes in handy, as when I fixed a couple of rips in some shorts (using the ZZ stitch); it is a very strong sewer.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:35 PM

And I found your take on the dial lock pins informative.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:53 PM

Thank you for the information. I'll do some research on those models and see what patterns they offer.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:05 PM

You can find the manuals in a several places, I usually check Central Michigan Supply first. The manuals should show you the patterns.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:31 AM

That's a touch and sew machine from the early 80's. TandTrepair.com has parts and advice. He lives in American Samoa, so you won't get an answer until tomorrow. Parts take a while to get here.

bkay
Old 08-13-2021, 05:43 AM

Dear BKay,
Thank you, will check out his site. I appreciate the information.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:18 AM

Singer has a free download for the 714 graduate owners manual. Here's the address.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 08-13-2021 at 08:30 AM.