View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 07:16 AM
OurWorkbench

That was my initial thought, but the only thing that was changed was the bobbin, that is until he tried adjusting the tensions. It looks like Mixie followed this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGRlXhc7Erk

I wouldn't have adjusted the tensions, until it was actually making stitches. Is it a similar size thread that had been used previously? It sounds to me that something isn't quite threaded correctly. Until I reread the post and found the video, I thought that perhaps the bobbin might have been turned over. I have always thought that the direction of the thread was to go into the slot so that it kind of made a 180 turn around the slit. James had a machine that when I tried that, it would not even pick up the thread.

I remember a thread/post that talked about needle tension, but can't find it. From what I remember, one would thread the machine and put the presser foot down and slightly pull on the needle thread until it just started to bend the needle. If the thread just pulled through easily, the tension was too loose. If it started to bend the needle right away, the tension was too tight. Another thought is that when threading the top thread, make sure that the presser foot is up so that the thread goes between the tension discs. Of course, that might not apply to the early 27s as it didn't have the pin that releases the discs, you just have to make sure the thread goes in between the discs which can be accomplished by pulling up on both sides.

I would try rethreading everything. (After putting tensions back where they were.) It seems odd that you can pick up the bobbin thread, but it will not catch when actually sewing. One other tip is to hold on to both thread tails when starting to sew.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)