View Single Post
Old 08-26-2021, 02:58 PM
tropit

Default My Ongoing War With a Consew

May I vent?

Last March, I bought a Consew, commercial, sewing machine. Since then, it has been an ongoing war with this machine. It never, ever, sews right. It's a crude machine that skips stitches, breaks thread for no apparent reason, is difficult to get the "double tension" set correctly and I've gone through at least 30 needles, (yes, I have the correct needles for the job.) I've come close to sewing through my fingers because it only goes fast and I've wasted a lot of expensive leather trying to make this machine sew correctly.

I have watched probably every Youtube video out there on this particular machine, I have threaded it a million different ways, (because no one in any of the videos threads theirs the same way as the instructions tell you to.) I am a life long sewer and have sewn on domestic, as well as commercial sewing machines. I'll admit that I have not done a lot of sewing on leather, but I did sew some large, sewing projects using naugahyde, and horse blankets, so I'm not a complete novice at sewing heavy materials. This machine is just not right. It's taken me over 2 hours just to get the machine to sew a 30" straight line. I'm ready to give up on it and throw in the towel.

If anyone knows someone who is a pro and uses a Consew, who would like to give me some tips, please let me know. Otherwise, it's going on CL next week. Thanks for hearing me out. I'm going to go have a glass of wine now.