Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Ongoing War With a Consew >

My Ongoing War With a Consew

My Ongoing War With a Consew

Old 08-26-2021, 02:58 PM

Default My Ongoing War With a Consew

May I vent?

Last March, I bought a Consew, commercial, sewing machine. Since then, it has been an ongoing war with this machine. It never, ever, sews right. It's a crude machine that skips stitches, breaks thread for no apparent reason, is difficult to get the "double tension" set correctly and I've gone through at least 30 needles, (yes, I have the correct needles for the job.) I've come close to sewing through my fingers because it only goes fast and I've wasted a lot of expensive leather trying to make this machine sew correctly.

I have watched probably every Youtube video out there on this particular machine, I have threaded it a million different ways, (because no one in any of the videos threads theirs the same way as the instructions tell you to.) I am a life long sewer and have sewn on domestic, as well as commercial sewing machines. I'll admit that I have not done a lot of sewing on leather, but I did sew some large, sewing projects using naugahyde, and horse blankets, so I'm not a complete novice at sewing heavy materials. This machine is just not right. It's taken me over 2 hours just to get the machine to sew a 30" straight line. I'm ready to give up on it and throw in the towel.

If anyone knows someone who is a pro and uses a Consew, who would like to give me some tips, please let me know. Otherwise, it's going on CL next week. Thanks for hearing me out. I'm going to go have a glass of wine now.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:49 PM

I've never heard of them, although as I have no interest or use for an industrial machine, I guess being unfamiliar doesn't say much.

I'm trying to think of a group that would have more industrial machine users who may be more helpful in their use. Possibly people who do custom clothing or costuming, such as for equestrian events?
Old 08-26-2021, 06:20 PM

Donna Jordan uses a Consew if I remember correctly. Other than that I'm no help at all. Have you have a sewing machine repair guy look at it?
Old 08-27-2021, 02:54 AM

Not quite the same thing, but I understand your frustration. Years ago I worked at one of the colleges here in town in the theater dept, costume shop. We had a industrial serger that wasn't worth a ................. Would keep coming unthreaded, lost tension, etc,etc.etc It had been purchased by the previous costume design teacher that for some reason when they left, the took what little instructions on how to run it with them. The thing was finally junked.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

Does it mess up sewing cotton fabric too? I think the only solution is to find a repair service. Maybe call an upholstery shop , they would probably use an industrial machine.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:47 AM

umm.....after struggling over a year with my new Berina 570 that kept jamming, going to the shop, repeat, repeat, repeat. The last time I went to pick it up, I didn't even try it. I just said, I have PTSD from trying to get this machine to work...he said, what do you want? I said, to trade her in...and ....I did and got my Bernina 590 which is working well....I really do like it. as for the 570, every time I sat down at it, I would tense up Just waiting for the jam to happen and it never disappointed. I am so glad it it is gone. I think sometimes it is just better to release a machine back to the wild instead of continuing to struggle with it. I do however, have a Pfaff passport 2.0 just sitting here because that one sometimes work fines and sometimes just doesn't even attempt to stitch...it just sits there with it's lights on. Brought that one in, nothing wrong with it. but, there is....I don't feel right about even putting it in a garage sale as I really believe it has an issue. So there it sits.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

C, I don't blame you for wanting to hurl that machine!

I'm wondering if you could email Donna Jordan ? She whizzes through quilts with that machine. Just a thought though as she's probably super busy all the time.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:40 AM

I am unfamiliar with this machine and it sounds like a nightmare. Can you contact the dealership or manufacturer for more detailed information. Maybe the machine is defective??
Old 08-27-2021, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
C, I don't blame you for wanting to hurl that machine!

I'm wondering if you could email Donna Jordan ? She whizzes through quilts with that machine. Just a thought though as she's probably super busy all the time.
Donna uses a Juki now but might still have an idea about the other one
Old 08-27-2021, 02:14 PM
Gay

I agree with OnebyOnes' thinking. Just because it's an industrial machine doesn't mean it is suitable for sewing leather, and vis-versa. Could that be the problem?