Old 08-29-2021, 04:05 AM
NJ Quilter

As everyone has said, it's your quilt! With that said, the batting (directions) will, minimally, determine your quilting density. Doing an entire quilt with 1/4" or 1/2" spacing is really quite dense for hand quilting. Not that that is wrong, just really time consuming!

I don't use anything on my bottom finger(s). I just live with the needle pricks/calluses that develop over the project. I do use a metal thimble on my middle upper/pushing finger. I also use a rubber finger cot (like they used to use in banks and such back in the day) on my upper index finger to help pull the needle/stitches through the top of the quilt.

I was told, or heard, that when hand quilting, you should just feel the tip of the needle break the fabric on the bottom and then go back up. Are you 'stab-stiching' - one stitch at a time or are you loading multiple stitches onto your needle to then pull through to the top? I typically load multiple stitches at a time except when going over thick seams. Doesn't stop the pricks on the bottom finger but it does help, I think.

Good luck. Remember - it's a process to enjoy. Not a race to the finish!