View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 08:24 AM
WesternWilson

One surefire way I get back in the creative groove is tidying my stash! Sometimes just making a mug rug is all I can handle, so that is what I do. Little steps! They lead to the leaps and bounds...

I took a class once from Rayna Gillman, who told the story of her quilting while caring for her terminally ill husband...after a day of caring she was exhausted but so wanted to sew as a restorative endeavour. But she was too tired to do anything demanding. She just started sewing strips of fabric together, putting them in pairings that pleased her. Then joining the pairings into strip sets, which she threw into a drawer. Months later, when the storm had passed, she got out the strip sets and started creating from them...her famous quilting prompt is "what if???"

I too now have a box of strips (I cut 1" and 1 1/2" strips off every fabric I buy) that I piece together when I want the solace of sewing and working with colours without having to engage the brain! So soothing. And the strip sets turn out to really ignite your creative flow...I have used them in all kinds of projects.

Last edited by WesternWilson; 09-18-2021 at 08:28 AM.