View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 03:17 PM
Synnove

Thumbs up I broke the curse of King Tut!

About a year ago I posted that I was struggling to FMQ with King Tut thread. My Bernina just did not like it, and it kept skipping stitches. Today I tried again with the same results. Soooo, I tried an experiment. I used Mettler as the top thread but kept King Tut in the bobbin, and got perfect results! No problem. At all. I absolutely do not understand this. The Mettler is a 60 weight thread and polyester. The King Tut is a 40 weight thread and cotton. Why the two different weights and fibers work so well together baffles me. What I'd like to try next is the King Tut as top thread and either Mettler or Bottom Line in the bobbin, as the King Tut colors are beautiful and I really would like them to show on the quilt top.

And I made another discovery. In the past, when I FMQ I have started each pass with the quilt in my lap and pushed it through the machine, working from top to bottom. Today I worked bottom to top, thus pulling it as I quilted. It was much easier that way and moved under the needle better.

All in all, it was a very good quilting day!