View Single Post
Old 01-16-2022, 02:29 PM
JoeJr

I didn't read the thread you're referencing, but I think for a lot of "vintage" machine people the problem with later Touch&Sews, meaning those with the plastic/rubber gears, is working on them, i.e. replacing the gears when they lose teeth. I've had a few T&Ss, I have a 714 right now and it sews like a champ, but when I've had to replace the gears on others I found it problematic. I don't remember the exact model, but I ordered new gears, replaced a few of them, but there was one I couldn't get to, checked a youtube video and when the person broke out the Dremel with the cutting disc to remove a metal tab that was "in the way" of replacing the remaining gear, I said, "Forget it."

They seem to have been made with "planned replacement" in mind, which is worse than planned obsolescence. This is emphasized even more when a person picks up a hundred or more year old machine and often just with sewing machine oil is able to make it spin as if it were just out of the factory.

Lots of people have owned them, lots of people on the QB, lots of people still use them, and like them. I hope yours gives you many more years of service.