View Single Post
Old 03-01-2022, 06:28 AM
sewingpup

For anyone just starting out and not having much money, I would say just find a simple working machine. All you really need to get into this is a simple machine that does hopefully, a nice straight stitch. Sure, it is fun to have a machine that does all those fancy stitches, but you do not need them. I have never, ever, used 95% of the ones on my fancy machine. You need something to cut the fabric with, I recommend a 45 mm rotary cutter, a cutting matt 24 X 36, a 6 X 24-inch quilting ruler. a 6.5-inch square ruler, a basic iron, a seam ripper if one did not come with your machine, a package of pins, a package of size 80 universal needles, and a decent scissors. For fabric, get what you can to get started on your first projects, you do not need the most expensive cuz you are going to make mistakes! I at first grabbed any cheap or free fabric that came my way, from rummage sales, from other quilters giving it away at guild meetings (good to join, you learn and see what others are doing but let yourself get intimidated by the skill those folks have, they have been in this for decades) Then one day, I thought to myself. I don't need to get anymore fabric, I have plenty! Scrapes especially seem to multiply by themselves in my house. I now have extra machines, rulers, cutters, cutting mats, thread etc. If you like this quilting thing, it will take over your life! I have been doing it now for 40 years and nope, don't need to get anything for now. As for the quilting, I started out by tying some of my first ones, it works. Then I just did straight line quilting on my sit-down machine, that works too! Some folks find they like hand quilting. I never did. Keep an eye out for sales. If you find you like stitching, you will find a way. One project at a time! Actually, my 6000 dollar machine has not been used for months, I am using my bottom of the line little Bernina for my piecing for the last several months because I got it set up on a table in front of my TV so I can watch Netflix. Also, it actually stitches much better on little triangle pieces than my big fancy one.