View Single Post
Old 03-05-2022, 12:18 PM
Iceblossom

I use a "spider" that is a scrap where I start in the middle and reuse many times -- the hanging threads are the legs of the spider. The way my brain works is I would need a leader for the leader. I only start, typically don't feel the need for an ender. I use the spider each time, but it really helps when you are piecing triangles to help keep the points get sucked down or edges chewed up.

I also was amazed when I switched from my old vintage machine to a modern machine with an auto-thread cutter. I am much less covered with threads than ever before. I've seen posts from people who are unhappy with their machine's cut, but with all the problems I have with my Bernina it is one thing I'm super happy about. It also made a big change in my willingness to do patterns with partial seams which I used to rather avoid.

Anniedeb, if I'm answering the question I think you are asking, any time we are using the modern chain/strip piecing techniques where you cut through pre-sewn strips, you use a small stitch length. My machine defaults at 2.5, which I think is a nice stitch for garment construction, but I bring it down to 1.9 for piecing. No problems with unraveling. Really, the only time I backstitch is when I'm putting on a mitered border, and that is mostly to help deal with the weight and pull of the top.