View Single Post
Old 03-23-2022, 03:29 PM
sewingpup

This has been my experience. My little "Red Machine" Bernina 215 with the 5mm stitch width, does just fine while piecing especially when I have my straight stitch plate on. My 590B (9mm stitch width), is much more finickily when piecing. I found the following things help. 1. Use a straight stitch plate, the wide needle hole on the regular plate just sucks fabric into it, 2 If you have your machine set up for the "hoover" function, turn that off while piecing, while it is absolutely wonderful for doing applique, it is not good for piecing. 3 I am using the 97D foot which also helps as the left toe covers the feed dogs. 4 I also find it helpful to use a stiletto when going over the seams and 5 also use the knee lift to lift the foot while placing the fabric right up to the needle. I think basically, the 5mm machines with a nice straight stitch are the best for piecing. I am determined to learn to work with my 590 as it has so many wonderful features.... but because there are so many options and ways to set up these fancy newer Bernina's there definitely is a learning curve. I have found googling my question or concern and then watching the you tubes that come up on Bernina's are way helpful..