Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bernina frustration >

bernina frustration

bernina frustration

Old 03-31-2022, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
The 34D foot is the same foot as the 1D and is also the same as the 1C. The 1D doesn't have the side slit for the thread but can be used with the dual feed. The 1C does have the slit in the side for the thread pull but can't be used with the dual feed. Both the 1 C & D feet are metal. When I use the 34D feet, I will use a leader ender so I don't have to continually pull the thread throught the foot. I don't think I would try and make a slit in the plastic foot as that would likely weaken it?
Sorry, already ordered one.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:06 PM

You ladies have covered about all the bases, but I will add a couple of ideas ... YouTube BerninaJeff, he is a whiz with all things Bernina!
I have the 440QE and like several others think that the 5.5mm feed dogs are better for quilt piecing. I just became aware that there is a model that is made for the European market but can be special ordered here in the US. The B720 has 5.5mm, 10" throat, jumbo bobbin, and thread cutter. All features that make it an attractive choice for piecing.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:25 PM

I am now a happy camper! I have watched several you tube and reread some of the manual. I can now piece half square triangles and thicker seams without pulling my hair out. Still like the simplicity of the 5mm and straight stitch machines but can now piece on my 9mm Bernina. And I do love some of the additional features on the 590 such as being able to "put the machine to sleep" without having to reset my settings when I return.
And Thanks everyone for your suggestions. You are the greatest!