Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bernina frustration >

bernina frustration

bernina frustration

Old 03-23-2022, 09:36 AM

Default bernina frustration

I have a bernina 570 qe. I am very frustrated with how when piecing, If I hit an intersection where other seams meet and there is bulk there, it pushes the fabric to the left and bunches. I called a local sewing center. They told me it was a design flaw and it might help to get a straight stitch plate.
Was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and what you did about it. I bought the machine about 4 years ago. Thank you
Old 03-23-2022, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina 440 and it’s a workhorse but they are not available anymore. You might try using a bamboo skewer as a stiletto to “ help” at thick intersections. Bamboo skewer is ideal because if you accidentally hit it with the needle, it is safer then a metal stiletto.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:14 AM

Some people just love Bernina... some of us have less glowing experiences. I have the 820 which was not a popular model, it was owned by two Bernina fans before me who each continued with the brand to happier results.

It looks from the pictures I saw that the 570 has the integrated walking foot thing, the arm that comes down from the back of the presser foot. I typically piece with that engaged. When piecing, I do use the single hole plate.

While I have some other issues with mine (like it doesn't like to "sew into space" and suck down triangle points), I don't have your exact problem -- but then I press my seams open and pin at each intersection. Hope you can figure out a fix.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Try raising your presser foot setting as high as it can go (when the foot is down.) And when you piece your tops, try and spin seams at intersections to reduce the bulk.

For my longarm I have a plastic cup-shaped foot for gliding over seam intersections. See if maybe a foot like that is available for your 570.

Yikes... I just looked up feet for your machine, and the one I was talking about was $125! Mine was pricey too, but not that much. Take a look at it. It would defimitely solve your problem.
https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/1...All%20Products
Old 03-23-2022, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

It's on Ebay for $105. Bernina #74 Adjustable gliding cup foot.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:08 AM

Thank you. I will try some of the suggestions. I really want to love this machine, but so far, not so much. Hoping to get it resolved so I can enjoy quilting. For the price I paid, I was expecting a dream machine.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I also have Bernina's. I have learned to slow down at bulky sections and it goes over the seams much straighter. But, if you are not piecing too many seams like that, Stop, and use the hand wheel to advance over the seam and then continue sewing the rest of the way normally.
I also press my seams open when possible and I make sure I have a new sharp needle. The needle must be replaced often. Check your handbook to see how often they recommend. I am thinking after each project or after eight hours?
The machine has a walking foot or like someone said, use the even feed that you pull down from behind the machine and attach to the foot to give it a more even grip.
You can use the jeans helper tool if you have one in your attachment box. It is placed under the back of the foot to even out the foot so you can sew across bulky seams.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 03-23-2022 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Here is the bernina learning site. It has tons of information about your machine and the how to's.

BERNINA Learn & Create: Sewing Inspiration and Assistance - BERNINA
Old 03-23-2022, 11:22 AM

One of the things I have loved best about my Bernina's over the years is that they don't have any trouble with bulky seams. I'm sorry to hear you are having a different experience. I hope one of the suggested solutions works for you.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
One of the things I have loved best about my Bernina's over the years is that they don't have any trouble with bulky seams. I'm sorry to hear you are having a different experience. I hope one of the suggested solutions works for you.
That has been my experience with Bernina's. I've been making some bags and I'm using my Bernina just because it does handle bulky seams well. Did you contact your Bernina dealer about it or just a generic sewing machine dealer? Bernina's do tend to be a bit specific and a Bernina dealer is usually your best source.