View Single Post
Old 03-24-2022, 12:37 AM
cinnamints

Default Domestic 153 motor mount bent in transit

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for all the vintage sewing machine information on this forum!

I've needed a machine with a small foot for tiny projects and fell in love with a Domestic 153 which had a very reasonable price, even with shipping. It has all its accessory feet, good cords, its buttonhole attachment, manuals, even the tag. It also has its hard suitcase and was offered by a well-rated, seemingly-meticulous seller (several reviews mentioned good packaging of delicate vintage tube audio equipment), who said the machine ran.

And it's entirely possible it did before being thrown into its suitcase with no padding to bounce across the country. 🤦

The motor mount is bent both away from the machine and at an angle (i.e. the rubber wheel wouldn't line up if I could press it back toward the wheel.

So I'm planning to remove the hinge's cotter pin, put the flat part of the mount in a vise, and tap it with a nylon mallet + bend with wide pliers until it is as flat as I can get it.

Before I do this, I wanted to run it by you all and see if anyone had done this repair and had any ideas/advice.

The forum is giving me a security token error when I try to attach pics, so photos are here.