Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Domestic 153 motor mount bent in transit >

Domestic 153 motor mount bent in transit

Domestic 153 motor mount bent in transit

Old 03-24-2022, 12:37 AM

Default Domestic 153 motor mount bent in transit

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for all the vintage sewing machine information on this forum!

I've needed a machine with a small foot for tiny projects and fell in love with a Domestic 153 which had a very reasonable price, even with shipping. It has all its accessory feet, good cords, its buttonhole attachment, manuals, even the tag. It also has its hard suitcase and was offered by a well-rated, seemingly-meticulous seller (several reviews mentioned good packaging of delicate vintage tube audio equipment), who said the machine ran.

And it's entirely possible it did before being thrown into its suitcase with no padding to bounce across the country. 🤦

The motor mount is bent both away from the machine and at an angle (i.e. the rubber wheel wouldn't line up if I could press it back toward the wheel.

So I'm planning to remove the hinge's cotter pin, put the flat part of the mount in a vise, and tap it with a nylon mallet + bend with wide pliers until it is as flat as I can get it.

Before I do this, I wanted to run it by you all and see if anyone had done this repair and had any ideas/advice.

The forum is giving me a security token error when I try to attach pics, so photos are here.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by cinnamints View Post
...The forum is giving me a security token error when I try to attach pics, so photos are here.
Welcome. Sorry this happened to you. I'm not much help, but that sounds reasonable. Proceed with caution and possibly have a back-up plan, should it crack or break.

Usually the error is because the image is too large.
We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Usually the error is because the image is too large.
Ahh, this is very likely what it was. Each pic is ~7mb. Thank you so much for explaining all the ways to work with the board interface. I'll crop and compress them in the future.

Sometimes boards will automatically compress pics, so I thought the issue might be that it was my first post. Pics sometimes aren't allowed by boards until a set number of comments are made.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:31 AM

I have not taken the motor off my 153. I suspect that if you do you may find the mount held to the base with a couple of screws.
that can give you a bir of hope that if you break the mount it might be replaceable. If your serial # starts with MG your machine in magnesium/ Welcome aboard.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
If your serial # starts with MG your machine in magnesium/ Welcome aboard.
Thank you!

And oh yeah, it's definitely cast magnesium. Spent an hour clearing a few chemistry classes worth of magnesium oxide blooms off the underside with oil and a toothbrush, like vintage toy collectors do. But I'm grateful for it b/c that's why these aren't too expensive to ship.