View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 05:00 PM
Railroadersbrat

Default Going cross-eyed - Antique Singer

So the fiancé did it again and boy howdy, did he do it. Brief backstory...

He's in Theo again this week, calls me up out of the blue to say he just scored me an Antique Singer. I tell him to shoot me a picture of the badge, it took me twenty minutes to guide him to it, but he gets it done and I get the pictures.

Beautiful machine, but having a dickens of a time finding much about it. ISMACS isn't that helpful, other than to tell me when it was manufactured, used another website to find out where, seems like they're more geared for the Featherweights. Badge number is AE740803, I contacted Singer for help, got the usual, 'here's your case number, we'll get back to you'. Did that on Friday. Singer's website does not have a manual for this machine. She was born November 4th, 1937 in Elizabethport, New Jersey.

Turning the handwheel, it still has gorgeous motion, no squeaks, thumps or bumps. Feed dogs still move, it's missing a bobbin plate, spool pin, the rubber rings on the bobbin winder and the electrical cords going to the motor has significant dry rot. Minor rust and it looks like it might be in the original cabinet, but it's been painted. He's on his way home now, I'll post pictures when he gets home and get her in the house. It's been raining off and on, I told him he had better keep her dry or he's sleeping in the dog pen tonight, lol.

I know that Singer really didn't change much on the body of the machine for a while, when I did an original search for my old girl, I confused her at first for a 1926 model. My question is that since the body didn't change much, surely the internal mechanisms didn't change, either, would it be possible to find a manual for a different model, close to the same age and use that for general use? It's going to be a long time before I get her running right, I'd just like to have a diagram or something on how to clean and oil her, maybe how to thread it. I'd like to send a small swatch through her just to see if there are going to be any other issues pop up.