Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Going cross-eyed - Antique Singer >

Going cross-eyed - Antique Singer

Going cross-eyed - Antique Singer

Old 04-04-2022, 05:00 PM

Default Going cross-eyed - Antique Singer

So the fiancé did it again and boy howdy, did he do it. Brief backstory...

He's in Theo again this week, calls me up out of the blue to say he just scored me an Antique Singer. I tell him to shoot me a picture of the badge, it took me twenty minutes to guide him to it, but he gets it done and I get the pictures.

Beautiful machine, but having a dickens of a time finding much about it. ISMACS isn't that helpful, other than to tell me when it was manufactured, used another website to find out where, seems like they're more geared for the Featherweights. Badge number is AE740803, I contacted Singer for help, got the usual, 'here's your case number, we'll get back to you'. Did that on Friday. Singer's website does not have a manual for this machine. She was born November 4th, 1937 in Elizabethport, New Jersey.

Turning the handwheel, it still has gorgeous motion, no squeaks, thumps or bumps. Feed dogs still move, it's missing a bobbin plate, spool pin, the rubber rings on the bobbin winder and the electrical cords going to the motor has significant dry rot. Minor rust and it looks like it might be in the original cabinet, but it's been painted. He's on his way home now, I'll post pictures when he gets home and get her in the house. It's been raining off and on, I told him he had better keep her dry or he's sleeping in the dog pen tonight, lol.

I know that Singer really didn't change much on the body of the machine for a while, when I did an original search for my old girl, I confused her at first for a 1926 model. My question is that since the body didn't change much, surely the internal mechanisms didn't change, either, would it be possible to find a manual for a different model, close to the same age and use that for general use? It's going to be a long time before I get her running right, I'd just like to have a diagram or something on how to clean and oil her, maybe how to thread it. I'd like to send a small swatch through her just to see if there are going to be any other issues pop up.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:41 PM

The model number should be on the plate on the front of the machine near the stitch length regulator. What you posted is the serial number which from what I can see, is a serial number of an industrial machine.

As far as domestic machines are concerned the most common machines are the models 15 and 66. The internal mechanisms of the 15 and the 66 which were Singer's are rather different. That said, there's nothing to oiling the machine. If the machine turns heavily, Singer recommended using kerosene. Drip some into all the oiling holes and drip some onto all points where one piece of metal connects to, pivots against or turns on another piece of metal. Then oil all those same points. Use sewing machine oil only. No other kind. Lots of people like Triflow with teflon. I've never tried it. Don't use other stuff like 3-in-1 or WD40.

If there isn't a model number on the machine, it may be a very early machine such as a 27, 28 or perhaps a 128. Post a picture here and someone will know what you have.

Manuals can be downloaded from the Singer website. You don't open any case numbers, you just navigate to this link and put in your model number.

https://www.singer.com/en-ca/support

Last edited by 1.41; 04-04-2022 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:45 PM

It appears that you have some type of 15 machine. Is the motor attached to the machine or use a belt? It could be a 15-91 (with potted motor) as seen at https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mac...g-machine.html That link also has a manual for the 15-91. If it has a belt (external motor) more than likely it is a 15-90 and the manual for that can be found at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/18...ger-15-90.html There is a possibility that it could be another variety of 15, but those are the most common. Some comparisons can be found at http://needlebar.org/main/15chart/

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-04-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1.41 View Post
The model number should be on the plate on the front of the machine near the stitch length regulator. The internal mechanisms of the 15 and the 66 which were Singer's most common models are rather different. That said, there's nothing to oiling the machine. If the machine turns heavily, Singer recommended using kerosene. Drip some into all the oiling holes and drip some onto all points where one piece of metal connects to, pivots against or turns on another piece of metal. Then oil all those same points. Use sewing machine oil only. No other kind. Lots of people like Triflow with teflon. I've never tried it. Don't use other stuff like 3-in-1 or WD40.

If there isn't a model number on the machine, it may be a very early machine such as a 27, 28 or perhaps a 128. Post a picture here and someone will know what you have.

Manuals can be downloaded from the Singer website. You don't open any case numbers, you just navigate to this link and put in your model number.

https://www.singer.com/en-ca/support
I did get the model number, I'm just having a heck of a time finding a manual for it. The Singer website was the first place I went to and when I put in the model number, it gave me a 404 error and said I was lost. Did that four separate times using four separate web browsers and got the same error, that's when I emailed them with the model number and got the case number. I still haven't heard back from them about it, so I've been trolling the Internet to see if I could find something on my own, then came here when I couldn't find anything.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:49 PM

What's the model number of the machine, and could you post a picture of it?
Old 04-04-2022, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
It appears that you have some type of 15 machine. Is the motor attached to the machine or use a belt? It could be a 15-91 (with potted motor) as seen at https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mac...g-machine.html That link also has a manual for the 15-91. If it has a belt (external motor) more than likely it is a 15-90 and the manual for that can be found at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/18...ger-15-90.html There is a possibility that it could be another variety of 15, but those are the most common. Some comparisons can be found at http://needlebar.org/main/15chart/

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Pictures are coming - he's in the driveway but it's raining and I'm not letting him bring that in until it dies off a little.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
... The Singer website was the first place I went to and when I put in the model number, it gave me a 404 error and said I was lost....
That is where I go and have been getting that error, too. That is why I gave the other links to manuals. I determined that 1.41's link has "/en-ca" between "com" and "/support" and that one you can put 15 in and get results.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:21 PM

Holy cow - this lady is gorgeous! I love these old Singers, they're so classy and elegant looking. Why can't they make machines like this anymore??

Looks like I need a new tension knob, too? Checked the stitch regulator switch, moving slow but no creaks or squeaks. I'm sure there's years upon years of old oil in her, can't believe Singer says to use kerosene to clean it out.

Model number is AE740803

Had to yell at the fiancé when he came in, it was still raining and between the truck and my front door is about 100 feet of what can only amount to quicksand, Ozarks mud and silt. One slip in my yard and you're going to find yourself on your back looking up into the trees. I'm still giving him the business, but they did a really good job wrapping her up in plastic and a blanket, not a drop of rain on her cabinet anywhere.

I've got more pictures if need be.
Attached Thumbnails img_20220404_205751.jpg   img_20220404_205812.jpg   img_20220404_205828.jpg   img_20220404_205837.jpg   img_20220404_205851.jpg  

Old 04-04-2022, 06:38 PM

A beautiful Singer 15. I believe those are RAF decals. I may be wrong.

Manual is here:

https://www.singer.com/en-ca/search/support?title=15

Download the first one on the list.

All the parts you might need are easily available. Singer's most popular model. Made for over 100 years. Singer still makes them in India. Go to the Singer India site and you'll see them both motorized and in treadles.

This machine was copied by lots of manufacturers both in Europe and in Asia. Lots and lots of clones out there. You have a beautiful original.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:40 PM

One last point. It sort of looks like you have the original wiring on this machine. Look very closely at the wiring before you plug it in. The insulation may be deteriorated and the it may need new wiring. DON'T plug it in before checking the wires carefully to make sure that they're in good shape.

I just looked again at your pictures. The insulation on the wiring is deteriorated. It needs to be re-wired. An easy job but a bit fiddly.

The most difficult part is the light because Singer used circlips on the light fixture that are strong enough to tie down an ocean liner in a hurricane. Those are hard to get off and back on without having to use coarse language.

There is a bit of soldering to do on the connectors, but otherwise, it's an easy job to do. 20 feet of 18 gauge wire and you'll never need to use an extension cord. 18 gauge wire can be had at pretty much any hardware store for maybe 39 cents a foot. Use the one with the thinner insulation as the one with the thicker insulation won't fit into the power block. I think it's number SP-1 or something the No. 2 is the thick one that you don't want to use.

Last edited by 1.41; 04-04-2022 at 06:49 PM.