Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Going cross-eyed - Antique Singer >

Going cross-eyed - Antique Singer

Going cross-eyed - Antique Singer

Old 04-06-2022, 06:13 AM

Yes RAF decals.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:31 AM

Okay, more pictures are coming - I'm resizing them now. I have a 14mp camera, so it's taking a country minute to get them done. I want to touch base on a couple of things.

OurWorkbench - I followed the foot pedal cord just as you suggested and it does go up behind the three-pin location. The cord for it is in pretty bad shape, as are the others that I didn't see when I posted the original pictures from my phone.

As much as I would like to have an original Shuttle Race Plate, I'll take what I can get when it comes time and then work on replacing that one with an original when or if it becomes available. I do like the option to adjust the feed dogs if need be if I have to settle for another throat plate, I didn't think that was an option.

I pulled that lint brush out when I was taking pictures and lo and behold, it says 'Singer'. I had a good laugh at that.

I did find some damage to the body when I was snapping pictures, looks like it's al the way down to the metal. I was stunned when I saw it, I'm not quite sure how to move forward with that. It's on the back, looks like where the light assembly rubbed up against the body, is there a particular reason why the light assembly is even in the back to begin with? It's odd to me for some reason.

Pics on their way, finishing up the last of the resizing now.
Old 04-06-2022, 12:09 PM

Default More Pictures

What would be the best way to work on that damage? I'm at a complete loss.
Attached Thumbnails dscf2725-resize.jpg   dscf2727-resize.jpg   dscf2731-resize.jpg   dscf2733-resize.jpg   dscf2734-resize.jpg  

Old 04-06-2022, 05:36 PM

a
Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
What would be the best way to work on that damage? I'm at a complete loss.
That wiring most definitely needs redone.

I can't remember if I taped the edges of a gouge in my sister's machine, but I remember using Testor's paint with multiple coats to build it up even with the bed. At this post Anyone with experience painting their sm with lacquer.. it recommends https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GKEXVQ...ding=UTF8&th=1 to match the black. You can spray into the lid or other container and use a brush. You could then touch up the "E" with Testors Gloss Gold as Glenn said he uses that at Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

A lot of machines have the light in the back. The ones that have it in the front are frequently the source of burned hands as the lights get really hot. Of course, now there are LED replacement bulbs, to prevent burning your hands.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-06-2022 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:45 PM

I was out of touch today, a few thoughts:

Duplicolor DE1635 is also a good match, spray into a disposable cup and painting. It does need to be layered on, multiple coats, dry time between.

0000 steel wool can be used to polish up the chromed stop motion clutch knob on the handwheel, it will safely remove most, if not all, of the surface rust. A metal polish will do nicely on the face plate and rear inspection plate, tho I have also used a baking soda paste, or even a degreaser dish detergent, hot soapy water, and a soft cloth.

I'm not sure about the orientation of the photo showing the pedal in its bracket, but I have some that remove up, and others that remove by pulling down. All my pedals have the longer cord, or at least reach the floor easily and position well.

New bobbin slide plates often have a brushed finish, giving it that blueish look, vs the original shiny chrome finish.

Regarding those goofy circlips on the lamp: the clips are formed and ends snipped at an angle. Getting off is a trick, but getting back on is trickier. What helped immensely was squaring off those angled snipped ends with a Dremel type tool. Doing so allows the snipped ends to seat on the snap ring pliers, I stead of skittering off. I call them snap ring pliers, because I don't recall the actual name of the tool, it is a similar pliers, that is slightly different. I will ask DH tomorrow and clarify.

I love getting a machine stitching again. You'll have so much fun!

Old 04-07-2022, 12:21 AM

Circlips are a pain for a DIYer. In my case, I found that leaving the ends angled works well enough with my circlip pliers. The pliers seem to fit right into the angles. So I found the original Singer circlips easier to deal with using the pliers I have. This is, I think a case of YMMV. I'm waiting for the day that someone is able to explain Singer's logic in using these things. I can't fathom why they felt the need for the world's strongest clips to clip together a Bakelite light housing.

Getting a 15 running is a fun and indeed joyful experience.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:36 AM

I think I'm still in shock that he found this machine, even though I know better. When we first got together and before he moved in with me, my fridge unexpectedly went out on me. I made casual mention on the phone that it had gone out, he asked what kind of fridge I liked and before the end of the day, he showed up in my front yard with not just one, but two. Anything I've ever put him on, he finds, but then he finds multiples. After he dropped off this machine, he went back over to our friend's to help one of her neighbors, he's since found two more antiques (a Class-99 and a Class 101) and a 403A. I've been cruising all over ISMACS website for two days looking into those ladies and then he dropped the 403A on me this afternoon. The antiques will stay where they are for now, one of them was sadly involved in a fire and most of her clear coating and decals are gone, though I did manage to find out it's the Knots & Rectangles design and it looks like in a couple of locations, the paint has completely peeled away from the metal. She's in pretty bad shape but when he turned the hand wheel, the needle moved up and down and the feed dogs moved, too. I told him that's a restoration we can't get into, we just don't have the capability to strip the body completely down and repaint it. She's in a treadle, the foot plate was damaged by the fire, I think most of her damage was caused by heat and smoke because her cabinet is just black in a lot of locations. I told him to start chatting up the possibility of selling her to someone who can do a full restoration on her. Given what she's been through, she deserves it.

My view has always been, these antiques were built to last through the ages and people tend to forget that. I've seen videos on machines that were far more damaged come back to life. As long as the hand wheel turns and the feed dogs move, there's life left in these old girls, they just need someone to give them some good TLC. So when I see or hear someone tell me they've given one over to a scrap guy, my blood just boils and my heart shatters into a million pieces. I can't tell you how many times I've actually cried when I hear of an antique machine that's just been tossed in the trash. People just don't understand how incredibly special these beautiful ladies are. I have two electronic machines and a vintage that takes cams, but once I get my lady cleaned and purring like a kitten, 99% of my sewing will be with her. You cannot beat the craftsmanship of these antiques and nothing that will come in the future will ever match it.

Last edited by Railroadersbrat; 04-07-2022 at 12:39 AM. Reason: My grammar was horrid, I'm surprised the grammar police didn't come and arrest me.