Old 04-12-2022, 06:36 AM
Sew Girl 2

Default Hand Embroidery on Christening gown

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I have a question for those who hand embroider. I have an heirloom Christening gown that I must now embroider three generations of babies who have worn this gown. The grands are on their way! This gown was hand made by a friend of my great-grandmother's for her grandson's (my uncle) Christening. The fabric is, I believe, cotton batiste. I'll be doing everyone's names in a simple back stitch. Still working on the specific font/size to do the names.

My thought has been to lightly trace the name onto the gown to do the embroidery. The big question - what to use to do that; make centering marks; etc.???

I did purchase tear-away stabilizer and a new embroidery hoop yesterday as it's been a very long time since I've done any embroidery and I couldn't remember the status of my tools.

I have all manner of marking tools for my quilting but I usually end up using a #2 pencil on light fabrics and a fine-line chalk mechanical pencil for darker fabrics - either white or pink. I don't think the #2 pencil is the way to go on this. I very occasionally have issues getting those marks out and don't want to take the chance with this item.

Any and all recommendations/suggestions are welcomed and much appreciated.
If it can be hand washed. I have used "stick n stitch by Sulky" to draw the pattern on, then you stick it to the fabric, hand embroidery and wash it away. Another one made by Pellon is "Print, stitch and dissolve", but I haven't used it. This may work for you.