Old 04-14-2022, 04:32 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

NJQuilter ... What a special addition this will be to an already treasured family heirloom! You mentioned you have not done hand embroidery for awhile. When I got back doing hand work a few years ago, I found that I had lost the sense of getting my stitch length even and how much tension was "right" before puckering started. It took awhile for me to get back in touch with that! With a cotton batiste that puckering and random stitch lengths will be even less forgiving than a heavier one, so I would highly suggest you find some fabric as close to your gown to practice on, before you work with the real thing. It will be beautiful!

A suggestion about the floss. Like you, my first thought would be to stick with the previous all white. However, the original will have a different white colour and sheen from aging and washing than any new you add. Perhaps a very pale (almost white) pink or blue? The colour would be ever so subtle, almost unnoticeable, and yet a nice nod to the genders of each, and blend in better than a "new" white.

This is such a wonderful tribute you are creating and I look forward to hearing and seeing more about your enhancements. Good Luck!

Last edited by QuiltE; 04-14-2022 at 04:38 AM.