Old 06-19-2022, 04:48 AM
sewingpup

Hard to pick just one favorite. So, I have several "my favorites" Ha, I remember when I was a kid, every time my siblings or I would end up breaking something of mom's it was "her favorite". Anyway, I am thinking of an old quilt that belonged to my grandmother. She was very poor, did not even have running water other than the hand pump in the yard and a two-holer out back. She made this quilt out of salvaged wool pieces mostly in dark colors. It was a crazy quilt type design without the fancy stitches. But every once in a while, she stitched a bit of whimsy into it. There was a bunny made from a gray piece, a butterfly made with some lighter colored wool, a squiggle caterpillar made from a row of brighter colored circles. My dad told stories of breaking ice on the water bucket in the morning but been warm and toasty under that quilt. It also is very heavy. I don't know what she used as batting. I hope somebody wants it after I am gone. It is not a fancy quilt, but with all those stories attached to it, It is one that can not be replaced.