View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 09:33 AM
toogie

Default Unfamiliar-to-me Border

Hello Quilters! A Patriotic panel picture was sent to me by a fellow member here on Quilting Board. Sue suggested I make one of my QOV panels with this border. I wasn’t familiar with this border but I could distinguish it was a quarter square triangle so I started making them. Boy how I made them! I had just laid a few out to make sure I was on track. So I continued. I knew by the photo, the corners were half square triangles. However, when I got them all laid out, the top and bottom rows were all wrong. Everything needed to be mirrored. So then my companion ( my ripper-lol) and I ripped out about 44 QST’s and resewed them all.
I’m sure many of you have made this border before but I only made 2 queen quilts and a few baby quilts before asked to join QOV group in 2019 and I was making this from a picture. I cut my fabrics 5 1/2 inches and the red I cut in half from corner to corner, making two pieces. The navy and white 5 1/2 inch squares I cut from corner to corner twice making an X cut for 4 pieces to make my QST. I then trimmed to square to 4 1/2 inch QST.

That night my bell rang DING, DING, DING or some might say my light bulb came on!
I went to YouTube ( why didn’t I remember what my grown kids/grandkids say. If you want to know ANYTHING google it or look up on YouTube)
I found out the border is called Twisted Ribbon or Curling Ribbon. I watched the exact lady with the eagle photo Sue sent make her border and tell you to MIRROR the sides from the top and bottom. If I had thought to look this up the day before it would have saved me a lot of ripping. Sue said she’s glad to know I make mistakes!-lol
On youtube the border she demonstrated is one row but on her eagle picture it’s 2 QST rows.
Thanks Sue for giving me a new to me idea and realizing I’m far from perfect. ( I thought that was obvious-lol)

Ps. By the way my panel was squared down to 19x29 and I started adding the red borders & building from there. The original panel may have been the last on the bolt as it was off a lot.
I hope you all have a nice day and maybe get time to quilt today-Toogie
Attached Thumbnails 4b451ef3-ef94-4ceb-9bd4-f0ba76d2ce41.jpeg