View Single Post
Old 07-29-2022, 04:30 PM
IrishMom

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Irishmom -- 150 signatures in a quilt! Wow! Are you piecing the top ahead of time or bringing the signature blocks and sewing them together afterwards? What kind of stars were you thinking about making for the signature blocks? More than one family per star or 150 stars? What colors?

I did a search for signature quilts to see images of what's been done out there. I didn't realize that wedding quilts were a really big item these days. Yours is the first I had heard of it. Sounds like fun! I am so glad she found the dress!
It is mind boggling - I have made 4 signature quilts. Two were fully made (top, batting, quilted) and two were given in block form with freezer paper ironed on for a solid writing surface. I like that the receiver has a quilt right away if it's fully made, but I read enough stories of mistakes that can ruin an entire quilt - especially at an event with alcohol and people think they are being "clever" and they are really being crass! So for my daughter's wedding definitely quilt blocks.

If the stars were 6" finished (writing space 4" square) then 12 x 12 layout would be 144 stars ( 6 feet square). I assume most people won't each sign a square. I assume many married couples will sign one together - or lets be honest - the wife signs for them both! But fewer stars just means a pretty border or a more manageable size quilt. 10x10 would be 5 feet square and 100 stars. And who knows at this point how many people will be coming!

My past quilts were rail fence or disappearing 9 patch. They gave between 50-75 writing squares. I just love stars and thought that could be super pretty. My other quilts were for bridal showers or birthday parties, so fewer guests.

The wedding is going to be themed around music - they met in college marching band. So I'm thinking music note fabric -- will it be the stars (with a light color in the middle for signing) or the star background fabric? Do I want scrappy music fabric (several types) or buy one fabric?

Then I saw this music note (picture below). People could sign on the light background. Or is that too music themed!?! But it's not a secret so my daughter and her fiancé will have a say.

I also thought square in a square or even houses! I think hearts would be too much for my daughter.

So many thoughts!!! But the nice thing is any unused could be in a donation quilt --- or a baby quilt! So better to make more than less!!

I guess I'll have to make some samples for voting -- after I finish my current project. I was making a quilt for a wedding in October (quilt+cash). Doing very well on the top, just needed 5 other fabrics (it's a scrappy Disney quilt). Then I got an invitation to the shower in mid August! It makes more sense for it to be a shower gift, so busy weekend!
Attached Thumbnails national-marching-music-day.jpg