Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap >

2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

Old 01-01-2022, 04:43 AM

Default 2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

The 2022, 2.5” Birthday Candy Swap is ready to begin. Sign-up to join our group January 1, through January 18 or until we have 30 members, whichever comes first.

What is a 2.5” Birthday Candy Swap?

We send a package of fifty (50) different 2.5” squares to the member(s) on their birthday. On the 20th of each month, I send a Private Message (PM) with the birth date and mailing information for the upcoming month’s birthday member(s). Swappers then will mail fifty (50) 2.5” squares to that month’s birthday swap member(s). It is a is a year-long commitment to send each member of the group fifty (50) 2.5” “candies” on or before their birthday. This swap started about 10 years ago and has continued each year since celebrating each other's birthdays. Let's keep the swap going!

Candy squares must be 2.5", 100% cotton fabric squares that you would be happy to put in your own quilt. Please do not resend squares from a previous birthday swap. [img]file:///C:/Users/linda/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/img]

The cost is less than $1 per envelope. Tips and cues to mail efficiently will be posted in this thread by returning swap members and others who have been part of QB swaps.

As a side benefit swappers share photos of quilts, large and small, made of 2.5’s. These can be photos of quilts we made ourselves or photos and links to other quilts or projects that use 2.5: squares. Our eyes seem to find ways to use these little fabric squares everywhere.

Join us and then wait for your mailbox will fill with little envelopes and joyful greetings from your Birthday Swap friends on your birthday.

Steps to join in our fun:

1. I will limit our swap to the first 30 people and only addresses in the USA (for postage sake, Sorry!)

2. Send a Private Message (PM) to me, WMUTeach with your 1.) name, 2.) address, 3.) phone number, and 4.) your birthday (month and day). I will share your birth date, name and address of course. The phone information allows me to contact you should I need to, but it will not be shared.

3. Newbies (new to this swap) I need a recommendation from a past hostess or from anyone that was in a previous birthday swap before I can add you to the group. Absolutely No "Flakers" here!!! You must have swapped with or know the person giving the recommendation. Recommendations can come to me by PM also. We had a perfect year in 2021! No dropouts and faithful swappers all. Yeah!

4. While you are waiting for the swap to start in February, get your packages of 50 unique (All different) 2.5" candy squares ready to be mailed. Previous swappers will show some of the best ways to package the squares, so they are safe in the mail and how to keep the cost of postage down to less than a dollar.

5. On the 20th of the month, I will send a list of who is celebrating a birthday and their address via PM. Have your envelopes ready so you can drop them in the mail quickly!

6. Birthday person, Post the names of those who sent you a package on our thread as they come in. I will keep track also. Therefore, it is very important for the birthday person to post received packages in a timely manner. You can open your packages as they come to you or wait until your birthday. It is all up to you and how long you can resist tearing open the envelopes full of beautiful surprises.

Sender, Post on the thread when you mailed your birthday package. It helps me and our birthday folks know your package is “on the way”. Anticipation of a package is all part of the fun.

7. Contests will be part of the swap again this year about every other month. Answer a question, solve a puzzle or just be an active participant. I also will post links to patterns or websites that featuring our dear sweet 2.5” candies as I find them, and you can too. . Feel free to participate in the contests or not with just one rule: you must be a swapper “in good standing” to win, meaning all your packages have been arriving on time!

8. More than three "Late" packages will disqualify any one from participating in future birthday swaps. This past year, 2021, has been an excellent year for on-time birthday treats. Yeah, for us!!

Please post your questions, large or small, in this thread. Someone else probably has the same question and one of us can help you with an answer.

Looking forward to swapping with "old friends" and "new friends" too this year. Send that PM and start cutting 2.5s.

The general swap rules apply:
Rules For Swaps And Similar Activities – Updated December 2010

Old 01-01-2022, 04:53 AM

Day one and here is our list of 2022 swappers as of this morning. We number eleven. Welcome back,y'all. I will keep adding to the list as our group grows until January 18. Send out the word we are up and active for another year. Whoo Hoo!

Ahwu
Gaiji
Ibex94
JENNR8R
Kele
Loveofquilts
NZquilter
Patrick’s Mom
Sewbizgirl
Travelinggramma
WMUTeach
Old 01-01-2022, 06:22 AM

So exciting! I'm looking forward to another year of fun!
Old 01-02-2022, 12:52 PM

Added one more to out list today. We now number 12. I have a couple of gals who wanted to join last year who were new to the QB. Both were so new that they did not have any recommendation from another swap. I will contact them ASAP to see if they want to join us this year.

Ahwu
Gaiji
ibex94
IrishMom
JENNR8R
Kele
Loveofquilts
NZquilter
Patrick’s Mom
Sewbizgirl
Travelinggramma
WMUTeach
Old 01-02-2022, 05:28 PM

I won't be joining in on the swap but I am so looking forward to seeing what you all come up with as projects using these little gems of fabric!!! Happy swapping and don't forget to post your pictures for us lurkers!
Old 01-03-2022, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
I won't be joining in on the swap but I am so looking forward to seeing what you all come up with as projects using these little gems of fabric!!! Happy swapping and don't forget to post your pictures for us lurkers!
Lurk as you wish, Gemm. If you find any new ideas for these little sweeties, add to the conversation. Perhaps you can join us in the future for the swap.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:13 PM

Added a new swapper today. Welcome, Logcabin82!. Sadly the other two who expressed interest last year will not be with us this year either.

Ahwu
Gaiji
ibex94
IrishMom
JENNR8R
Kele
Logcabin82
Loveofquilts
NZquilter
Patrick’s Mom
Sewbizgirl
Travelinggramma
WMUTeach
Old 01-04-2022, 04:17 PM

Found this post in facebook the other day. Great way to use up candies!

Logcabin 82 - welcome!
Attached Thumbnails vintage-chain.jpg  
Old 01-05-2022, 04:43 AM

Ibex94, a good use of our little squares. Love the Quilted Twins site. So many free patterns and so little time! I hear their shop has excellent service too. Thanks for posting.an idea for our group.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:21 AM

Ibex, I made a quilt very similar with my candies. It was a ton of fun and the kids love it. They treat it as an I Spy quilt.
Attached Thumbnails img_20210506_073737043_hdr.jpg