View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 03:23 AM
WMUTeach

How I have reduced my stash:
1. With open eyes and a clear mind I went through my stash and got rid of fabrics and scraps I knew I would never use. Gave away or donated. (Donated to organizations that made masks, dresses for children, QOV and guild give away table.)
2, Stop buying additional fabric unless it is for a specific project and don't buy an extra yard "just in case".
3. Make quilts by sewing from your own personal shop, your stash. The reason you have the collection of fabrics is to use them, create with them and bless others with them.. Use it!
4. Enjoy the process of trying new combinations of color, textures and patterns because of the limits of your stash rather than dashing out for more. The boundaries or constraints of your own collection can lead to new ideas and creativity. .
5. Ease up on perfection and fussy little pieces in every quilt. Using larger cuts of fabric uses up stash faster.
6. Give yourself some time.and grace.

I have been 6, almost 7 years purposfully reducing my stash. It is now manageable. Most, not all is housed in one large bedroom closet, double doors and most of the length of the room. I donate 12 - 15 quilts per year to organizations, I see a pattern that catches my interest and I make it, then give it away. I give quilts to family members so every one will eventually have one of my quilts and I give to any one that I find needs just a little bit of personal attention or as I say it a "warm hug".

If you stash is a burden, then it is not a benefit to you,. Reduce it. I am also to the point that mortality is an reality. I would like to NOT leave piles of unused fabric for others to have to care for after my quilting days are over. I would rather leave quilts.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 08-14-2022 at 03:40 AM.