View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 08:27 AM
cashs_mom

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
The things that have worked best for me in reducing my stash are:
1. Limiting the amount of space that is available to store fabric. When it's full, I don't buy more until there is room.
2. Shopping my stash when I want to make a quilt- it helps that I like scrappy.
3. Thinking of my stash in terms of usefulness of the fabric for a wide variety of quilts. For that reason, my stash consists mostly of blenders and when I need to replenish it, I make a list of things I'm low on- for example- lights, darks, mediums, or specific colors. That's not to say I don't also have some really nice patterned fabrics, but they do not make up much of my stash.
4. Being willing to experiment with what I have on hand. After all, it's only fabric and thread- no one will be harmed if what I make ends up being truly ugly and I will still have had the fun of cutting fabric and stitching it back together. Any piece that is too ugly for words can always be cut up and turned into a collage quilt or an improvisational piece.

Rob
Great way to look at it Rob! I, too, shop my stash first. I bought some fabric for an EPP quilt this year, but most of it was from estate sales so pretty low cost. I've used a lot of scraps in the EPP project. I also bought Kaffe fabrics for a bed quilt. I figure buying new fabric for a quilt once every 2 years is allowed. lol

I love scrappy so I don't have a problem shopping my stash. I do the same about replenishing. When I find I'm low on a certain color, I make a note of it and when I'm at a quilt shop or there is a good sale, I stock up a bit on that color. Mostly, I just don't worry that much about it. I like fabric. I have fabric. I use it as I can but don't stress about "having too much". Anyone who says I have too much fabric, needs to start looking at themselves instead of criticizing me.