View Single Post
Old 08-18-2022, 01:14 PM
Gemm

Finished my quilt top from the 20+ year old stashed fabric. I ended up having to make a few more of the kaleidoscope blocks to make it work but I'm quite pleased with the result. While it's technically a Christmas print (the music and words are from "The Holly and the Ivy"), I think it would pass for an anytime quilt as long as people don't obsess over that little detail. :-)

I have enough of the main fabric (that I cut up for the hexes) to use as a backing AND enough of another fabric from the same collection to bind with (I was worried about this one because I've used a lot of this up in other projects). It's going into my "to be completed" tote and will hopefully be finished sooner rather than later.

In searching for that elusive piece of binding fabric I found a few more pieces of potential theme fabrics that are now waiting for their own transformations into something wonderful. I also saw Karen Brown's interview with Vanessa Génier from Quilts for Survivors and have another project I'm just sketching out that I hope to donate to this great charity.

I don't know if this is true for others here, but I'm discovering my stash-collecting/hoarding is strongly influenced by two emotional responses. One is "I love this fabric and would love to use it in something," so I buy it (whether new or thrifted) and the other is "I love this fabric and am not ready to use it in something," which mostly happens when I look at some of my long-term residents. In general, there are very few pieces in my collection that do not evoke the "I love this" part of the statement, for which I feel very lucky. :-) However, I am also going to try to keep this in mind if I do see a fabric that does not grab me in this way - I will then be able to just walk away or perhaps, if it's already here, let it go to a better home.
Attached Thumbnails img_7437.jpg