View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 01:15 AM
patricej
Administrator

if not for wally world, my stash would be 1/10th it's present volume. as the selection dwindles in our local ww fab department, the ratio is changing. now it's my wallet that's 1/10th the original volume because i have to shop online so much more often. :lol:

a few words to the wise, though, about the dollar stuff. if it wasn't marked down to $1, prewash. also throw together a test block, quilt it to a scrap backing, and test wash it. most of the time, the dollar stuff will hold up just fine, but it will usually shrink a little. and every once in a while, you'll run into one that can't survive a machine wash with a 1/4" seam. (i once put in a beeeeutiful quilt, but pulled out a hideous wad.)

that only happened once, out of all the many quilts i've made that had at least some of the dollar stuff in it, but i still keep it in mind when shopping the stash for a project. i tend to consider it primarily for backings now, but that's because i'm too lazy to do the test blocks. although ... it just occurred to me that the test block could be used to make a coordinating pillow so the time isn't really "wasted" after all, is it? :lol:

every other fabric i've purchased at wally world has performed like a champ. no shrinking; no bearding; never runs - not even the reddest reds. judging from some of the posts i've read here, you cannot say the same of all the expensive stuff. apparently, no matter how much you spend, there's still that little bit of risk that you'll get something sub-standard. go figure. :roll: