Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tonights Wally finds

I have some great stash my SS helped me pick out at Wally tonight. These are all $1 and $2 a yard
    Attached Images Attached Images

More

and some more

and some more

Last one I Promise

Those are great, I wonder if they have them here?

Were in Mississippi, and most of these I had not seen before But I do know that for some reason from Wally World to Wally World it does vary, because at the one West of me I can get Ole Miss and Miss State fabrics but cannot get John Deere Fabrics, however to the north of me I can not get Ole Miss but can get the John Deere. If I go to the East the selections are 100% different and each one of those stores are within an hours drive of me.

Wow, those are really nice :)

being in Canada we get different things than you do, sometimes. I worked for wally world for 2 years and know a little how it works. They are supposed to cater to the suroundings, they mostly carry the same thing with slight differences. I am going to have to call and see if they have them. The one closest right now doesn't have that good of fabric dept. The one I worked at has a better one. I could use more for my stash. I have a bunch of quilts to do before Aug.

Blog Entries
    if not for wally world, my stash would be 1/10th it's present volume. as the selection dwindles in our local ww fab department, the ratio is changing. now it's my wallet that's 1/10th the original volume because i have to shop online so much more often. :lol:

a few words to the wise, though, about the dollar stuff. if it wasn't marked down to $1, prewash. also throw together a test block, quilt it to a scrap backing, and test wash it. most of the time, the dollar stuff will hold up just fine, but it will usually shrink a little. and every once in a while, you'll run into one that can't survive a machine wash with a 1/4" seam. (i once put in a beeeeutiful quilt, but pulled out a hideous wad.)

that only happened once, out of all the many quilts i've made that had at least some of the dollar stuff in it, but i still keep it in mind when shopping the stash for a project. i tend to consider it primarily for backings now, but that's because i'm too lazy to do the test blocks. although ... it just occurred to me that the test block could be used to make a coordinating pillow so the time isn't really "wasted" after all, is it? :lol:

every other fabric i've purchased at wally world has performed like a champ. no shrinking; no bearding; never runs - not even the reddest reds. judging from some of the posts i've read here, you cannot say the same of all the expensive stuff. apparently, no matter how much you spend, there's still that little bit of risk that you'll get something sub-standard. go figure. :roll:

What a deal! I love all the spring time florals. Very pretty!

Do you quilters read the labels on the ends of the bolts when looking at fabrics in Wal-Mart? Both the stores I visit has had a mysterious blend of fabrics that do not seem to be selling well.

On first look it appears to be cotton. Touch it! It has a strange feel. Then the labels reads that is is a blend of Polyester and Nylon. I wonder how it is going to cut and fray? I have examined it and decided it was not for quilts.

Beware! is the word. What looks like a cotton might be something else.

Then, there iare the $1 fabric they have shipped in that appears to be "gauze" and has so much dye on top of it, it has a strange feel and quality. I decided this was not quilting fabric either.

Has anyone else found strange things on their $1 table? I think they are cleaning the warehouse because of some of the old style polyester knits and other fabrics that are of suspecious origin.

June

Blog Entries
    our local dollar table has become more and more of a mystery fabric stack. it is best to sift through it carefully. i'm happy to report, though, that one of my purchases from a bolt marked "unknown content" did - much to my surprise - turn out to be 100% cotton. not only that, there was almost no fraying when i prewashed and it tears perfectly across the straight of grain.

it's a gamble, i'll admit. but millions play in vegas and buy lottery tickets. i'll bet they spend more on that than i do rolling the dice at the dollar table. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My walmart gets a lot of what can only be described as curtain and drape material. It's the 1 an2 dollar fabric. I buy it and make new curtains. We also get a lot of fabric that looks like oxford or mens shirts, usually 60 inches wide, great for quilt backing or a summer top. We also get upholstery fabric and I have used it for a chair and makes nice pillows and tote bags. Lately we have had extra wide, large print cotton. I made a nice table cloth and napkins.

I will miss the fabric department if they leave, but I will have more money as a lot of this is still in the closet :D

I MISS WALMART!

Our Walmart gets great fabrics. If you are interested in being "green", it's nice to be supporting domestic fabrics that don't have to be shipped from overseas. If you are a military family, it's nice to know that Cranston/VIP is one of the BEST supporters of their military reservist employees. I made my own bed quilt from VIP/Cranston fabrics for that reason! :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I MISS WALMART!
    you aren't missing much anymore. may as well shop in Beijing. :lol:

i still go because the nearest something similar is 50 miles away. and because i prefer to not spend $5 for a gallon of milk. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Cathe
    Our Walmart gets great fabrics. If you are interested in being "green", it's nice to be supporting domestic fabrics that don't have to be shipped from overseas. If you are a military family, it's nice to know that Cranston/VIP is one of the BEST supporters of their military reservist employees. I made my own bed quilt from VIP/Cranston fabrics for that reason!
    sadly, their fabrics are very hard to find online. i love the fabrics and admire their support of the military. they are also dedicated and genuine protectors of their environment and all-around good human beings.

http://www.cranstonvillage.com/about/aboutCranstonCares.aspx?id=1732

http://www.cranstonvillage.com/about/aboutCranstonCaresList.aspx

I love most of Cranston Village Fabric!

Wow - what a good find at WalMart! As others have said, I'm finding that the $1. and $2. table has some wierd stuff that I wouldn't consider buying, but lucky for you, that wasn't the case at your Wally World. Good job!

Our local tables do have some of the strange stuff some of you have mentioned. I have noticed almost all of the things mentioned here, but they still have some great markdown fabrics on there as well.

I always prewash if in doubt, but most of what I have is the same brand and I pretty much trust it.

The stripes material, I wished the pictures were more crisp and showed just how bright this really is, my DH was online last night and I sent him the pics online and that was his fav. Its VIP by Cranston that one was marked down from $3.96 and I got 5 1/2 yards of it, my fabric lady told me if more of that come in she would call me she has my #'s as I have done some work for her before.

Does anyone else have this addiction just getting the entire bolt? People are foreveer looking at my family in a strange way when we have hit the fab department because we get just one cart for that stuff to make sure that we do not get anything else on it and normally the cart ends up pretty full. But thats because we also have a rule of thumb, each time we go to Wal Mart we purchase two packages of batting. Thats stuff if a little bulky so that takes up some room. But my family, even the guys are in there picking out fabrics and tell the girls at the cutting table to just give it ALL to us! And we prefer them to put it back on the bolt, that way we can stand it on end at home and can see our stash a little better when were picking out a sceme.

Great fabric! I just bought 16 yards of fabric at Walmart yesterday, 1.00 a yard, just couldn't pass it up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

NIce find!

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    lovely fabrics..looks like spring came to your house. Maybe you should send some to mistreated for her herb boxes so it will look like spring at her house too instead of winter!

Bless her heart, I would hate for it to still be cold here. We have had to mow our lawn already and are wearing shorts here. Most days its in the 80's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by c2cd2008
    Does anyone else have this addiction just getting the entire bolt?
    oh, yeah ... i've got more than a few bolts loose in my stash

shut UP, kathy! :lol:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast