Thread: Squash
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2022, 06:08 AM
sewingpup

I bought 6 different kinds of squash at a roadside stand. They are delicious! Much better than the ones in the grocery stores. I got some of the usual variates like Kabocha, acorn, Hubbard, delicata, carnival, and a round orange with a thin skin that was very good. I think my favorite is the delicata. As I am supposed to avoid sugar, my favorite way to fix them is to just quarter them, seed them, wrap in foil and roast. Then I just put a little butter on them or not. If I have leftovers, I slice them and fry them in a little butter, so they are a little crisp around the edges. Ha, I seldom have leftovers, I have an 84 year old neighbor who will always take a slice or two of roasted squash and also my sister who lives next door never turns a slice down. The vender sells a 1/2-bushel box all you can fit in it for $18. I got 10 squashes in my box. I am planning on picking up another box of them as they will keep. The one I haven't tried is the blue hubbard one. It is a small one. The vender said the best way to crack that one is to pick it up and smash it on a cement sidewalk. ummm....

Oh, sometimes I keep the seeds, clean them, soak a bit in salt water and roast in the oven. Those are good to.